Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 99 - 108 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #99   Aug 3, 2009 8:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi DIB:

We're talking engineers here.  People not products.  But I'll answer your question in light of handhelds since we are discussing handhelds here.  Since the Youtube video by James targets the $60 B&D pivot vac [the number one choice in handheld by Consumer Reports] as the leading competition, I would vote for it at the price over yours.  I also added that HOOVER/TTI platinum handheld with accucharge, and the energy award, for $120 excels over your infamous brand. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

We’re talking engineers who’s job it is to make far superior [utility patent/s] products?  The two products you mention mechanically perform exactly alike or nearly alike... hardly requiring the best and brightest.  The best and brightest DO NOT seek jobs [and its accompanying low pay scale] with the innovative-inept.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #100   Aug 3, 2009 8:43 am
So James and all his 475 engineers target the Black & Decker $60 handheld in its Youtube video, why?  And dyson costs $250-$270 plus $60 for attachments?

Because it's afforadble and rated the best by Consumer Reports in its class.  Best as in best and brightest.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #101   Aug 3, 2009 9:07 am
CarmineD wrote:
So James and all his 475 engineers target the Black & Decker $60 handheld in its Youtube video, why?  And dyson costs $250-$270 plus $60 for attachments?

Because it's afforadble and rated the best by Consumer Reports in its class.  Best as in best and brightest.

Carmine D.

I love it!  You could not answer my question. 

So the cheaper (more affordable) a product is, this proves it was created by the best and brightest.  B&D's willingness to except low margins (because it sells commodities that can be copied freely by others, so they have to except this reality) this is the core reason the product is "affordable".  Nice try though.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #102   Aug 3, 2009 9:11 am
DIB:

I didn't put the $60 B&D pivot vac on the wall for comparison to dyson's $250 handheld.  Sir James did.  He pointed to it as the leader, and so does Consumer Reports.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #103   Aug 3, 2009 9:22 am
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

I didn't put the $60 B&D pivot vac on the wall for comparison to dyson's $250 handheld.  Sir James did.  He pointed to it as the leader, and so does Consumer Reports.

Carmine D.

I'm just taking your advise - I’m trying to “keep up”...
I say B&D does not put their “best and brightest” in their vacuum division.  I say B&D does not have [utility patented] breakout inventions coming from their vacuum division.  I say the vacuum division is void of the best and brightest.  I say B&D vac engineers have proven they offer nothing remarkably innovative and so Dyson would never hire these innovative-inept.  What say you?

DIB
This message was modified Aug 3, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #104   Aug 3, 2009 9:54 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
DIB

Hello Venson and hello to your alter ego...  Severus.  Who you kiddin?

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

As usual you're WRONG!  Severus has a long storied history on all the vacuum forums going back years before dyson and you.  While Venson is relatively new to this Forum and here only for a few years.  You're right in one respect.  Both Severus and Venson are reasonable thinking/buying consumers of vacuums who didn't fall prey to the dyson party line, like some here did/do.  Severus goes back to the days of questioning dysons when TOM DUALCYCLONE MOTORHEAD GASKO was playing the part for dyson that you do here now: Poster child.  I suspect he'll still be here along with Venson when you and dyson are long gone. 

Carmine D.

I gotta give you all credit...  you cons always stick together.  Carmine, can you explain how Severus and Venson log in at the exact same times and have done so for the past two years?  I understand you have no credibility and have nothing to loose, but I believe Venson is a vacuum clubber and needs the respect of his peers.  You two just could not shut up.  Amazing.
DIB
This message was modified Aug 3, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #105   Aug 3, 2009 11:06 am
DIB,

Hoover has always been very good at carpet cleaning, which is Dyson's biggest deficiency.   Dyson may know how to design a vacuum that maintains suction, but it seems to have no clue how to design the agitation to get the dirt vibrated out of the rug.  In head to head tests, most Dyson uprights get whipped by a 4amp Oreck carpet sweeper.  Dyson engineers have very little experience with American style carpeting.  Carmine has pointed out the deficiencies due to the lack of height adjustment and the nozzle design.  Hoover engineers could teach Dyson about the balance between air flow, nozzle design, height adjustment and carpet agitation.    Hoover has also got experience with self-propulsion of vacuums.  So yes, I think Dyson could benefit from hiring Hoover engineers. 

DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine,

Why would he/they hire from a pool of innovative-inept?

DIB

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #106   Aug 3, 2009 11:34 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
DIB

Hello Venson and hello to your alter ego...  Severus.  Who you kiddin?

If you compare apples to apples (performance of cordless handhelds), NOTHING COMES CLOSE to the DC31/31's performance.  Forget about price, can you name cordless handheld that outperforms this vacuum?  And Dyson owns the world wide rights or he owns the world wide exclusive.  No other competitor can touch Dyson's weight to power, the patented DDM, the patented and best packaged (small) hi/low cyclonic’s no-clogging dust separators (the DC16 is a phenomenal filtering machine), the patented pistol grip.  Pistol grips are standards in the construction and DIY industry because it's the best place to hold onto to maneuver and point.

DIB

DIB,

You're love of James Dyson is truly amazing.    

In the real world:  (1) price does matter, (2) suction by itself doesn't clean all that well, and (3) 5-10 minutes isn't enough time to finish most jobs.   I can't imagine anyone in the construction business buying one of these toys.  It has so little practical value it's incredible.  This hand vacuum is best suited for display by Dyson lovers than actual use.   The $300 Dyson hand held is designed for display in a glass case.     Most people don't have money for a $300 upright, let alone a $300 dustbuster.    I can't imagine anyone paying more than $75 for a hand held vacuum - unless its gold plated.

By the way, how often do you polish your Dyson?   

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #107   Aug 3, 2009 1:01 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
I gotta give you all credit...  you cons always stick together.  Carmine, can you explain how Severus and Venson log in at the exact same times and have done so for the past two years?  I understand you have no credibility and have nothing to loose, but I believe Venson is a vacuum clubber and needs the respect of his peers.  You two just could not shut up.  Amazing.
DIB

DIB:

It's one thing to be make a mistake and admit it and apologize like a reasonable person would.  Quite another to be told of the mistake and do it over again!  There are names for people like you.  You know them already and it's probably the reason you are not in the restaurant business with your father.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #108   Aug 3, 2009 1:17 pm
Severus wrote:
DIB,

By the way, how often do you polish your Dyson?   

I opine that its at least the same number of times a day he cleans the brown stuff off his nose for having it stuck so far up where the sun doesn't shine on Sir James!

Carmine D.

Replies: 99 - 108 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42