Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Considering the Simplicity Synergy...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
techphet

Considering the Simplicity Synergy...
Original Message   Jul 24, 2008 7:12 pm
I started the thread about lead cleanup and the Eureka sealed-HEPA system...

I'm now looking at spending the extra dollars to purchase the Simplicity Synergy.  The price tag alone makes me worry that the Eureka sealed HEPA isn't as impressive as the marketing makes it sound.

Again, I know a vacuum cleaner alone isn't a solution to a lead-paint chipping problem but I am venturing to guess that the right vacuum cleaner (with a sealed HEPA system) will improve the situation while the wrong vacuum cleaner (an inexpensive Bissell or Eureka) may actually make the situation worse. 

I cringe to think that every time I'm vacuuming I'm just blowing more lead dust up into the air and making the environment more hazardous than it was to begin with.

The Simplicity salesman I spoke with told me that the Synergy air filtration was "hospital grade."  I also remember reading on here that "hospital grade" is not necessarily a good thing.  Can anyone elaborate on this?

Is $700 a reasonable price for a Synergy (this is marked down $200 with a trade-in). 

I've seen the Minuteman Lead HEPA for $625 here.  Any opinions on if the filtration of the Synergy would be equal to or better than this Minuteman Lead HEPA?

I also forgot to ask the Simplicity salesman about canister vacuums- would these be less expensive?

He did confirm that a bagless vacuum is not the way to go- I will not be purchasing one of these.

Thanks again,

Tech
Replies: 11 - 20 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Lucky1

Re: Considering the Simplicity Synergy...
Reply #11   Jul 25, 2008 10:49 am
The Miele Naturell is not Miele Hepa Filter capable that I know. Assembled in China

The better choice for YOUR situation would be the Miele Antares with an Optional Hepa Filter. It comes with an EXCELLENT bare floor brush and an air power turbohead for small amounts of carpeting. $489 + 52.99 for hepa. Made in Germany

The Bosch Formula Duo Plus would be another choice I would have you try. You should get an optional high quality floor brush thrown in. At about $499-$550. Made in Germany

The Simplicity Verve will give you all that you want plus be adaptable for anything you might add in the future (larger home, more carpet etc) $500-$650. Made in Simplicity's plant in China.

I think that $700 is a good price for a Synergy but not the best choice for you. made in USA.

There is also a "dealer only" Sanitaire canister somewhere, that I believe is a sealed hepa system and is being closed out. I'm sketchy on "truthiness" and detail on this. You might have to do more research
CarmineD

Reply #12   Jul 25, 2008 5:59 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

I think that $700 is a good price for a Synergy but not the best choice for you. made in USA.

While the Synergy may not be the best in Tech's current situation/living arrangement [which is a year lease], it may be the best buy in the long run..............Only Tech knows for sure based on what he will consider for his next house/home.

Carmine D.

techphet

Reply #13   Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
After a few hours at a vacuum store we decided on the Simplicity Verve.  It didn't take long for the salesperson to sell my wife and I on a canister instead of an upright:

* Easier to use on stairs
 * Longer hose for use with extensions (horizontal blinds)
 * Easier to vacuum both carpeted and non-carpeted floor
 * Easier to vacuum under beds and furniture
 * Feels more comfortable to steer, push, maneuver
 * More suction
 * Cord retraction
 * The canister is designed to roll over cord and maneuvers much easier than those old canisters from decades ago

We looked at the Miele line too.  The salesperson said that the Miele vacuums have superior filtering capabilities and are the only vacuums recognized / certified by some association/foundation- American lung association or something; not sure?

The least expensive Miele canisters were not designed for use with carpeting and by the time we were up to a Miele which was, we were a few hundred dollars over the price of the Verve.  We were still considering the Miele because of a few favorable factors:

* Quieter
 * HEPA filter seems more impressive- more rubber (not to say that it is)
 * HEPA filter contains carbon to remove odors
 * The superior filtration, as mentioned above

There were a few drawbacks which steered us back to the Simplicity however:

* Hose did not rotate at the base of the canister; this is supposedly to increase suction.  I agree- it sucks.
 * Handling the wand/power head was difficult, partly because of the previous point, partly because the hose itself did not rotate at the handle as it does on the Verve.  To me the hose seemed bulkier. 
 * Powerhead did not seem as impressive
 * Powerhead wand did not remain in a vertical position without being attached to the side of the canister.  The newer / more expensive powerheads do not have this problem.

The salesperson was also able to offer a larger discount on the Simplicity and threw in a few extra filters and bags.  So, the Verve it is. 

Hopefully this will make our home a bit healthier, considering the lead paint chips we find (it's not like we're finding them all over the place, all the time, I've just become obsessive compulsive about this).  We've also noticed quite a bit of dust in the air here so I'm hoping that we will see a reduction as time goes on.  I'm sure this will beat the Bissell bagless that we almost went with.

The store we purchased from also sold Dysons, which I had mentioned since I've seen so much advertising for them.  The salesperson did not feel that the vacuums offered high quality filtration at all but does sell them to people who come in looking specifically for them.  The store actually seems to carry about every brand of vacuum I've ever heard of...  Is this normal?

Thanks once again for helping me get started here.  I'm off to vacuum everything I can find. 

Tech
This message was modified Jul 29, 2008 by techphet
dusty

Reply #14   Jul 29, 2008 10:22 pm
Nice choice Tech.  That machine will give you years of great service.

Dusty
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #15   Jul 30, 2008 4:50 am
You made a good decision to purchase the Verve.  It is a very good cleaner, w/a lot of features.  I favor the larger S36/S38, but was glad that Tacony came out w/a smaller version.  A lot of women want a smaller, and powerful machine.  The Simplicity Verve/Riccar Pristine is it.

The four swivel wheels do make it very easy to move the machine around.  You may sometimes find yourself pushing the vacuum cleaner to the side.  You cannot do this w/a vacuum cleaner that has two stationary rear wheels.

The filtration on you Verve is excellent.  Just because one company tests their machines does not mean other companies market bad machines.  The Verve has very good filtration if you use the HiFlow “HEPA” bags and the filters.  You will find very little to no dust in the bag compartment when it comes time to change the bag.

Canisters are very good for those who do a lot of vacuuming around the house. They clean areas like rugs, floors, furniture, walls, drapes, etc.  You might want to give your house a thorough vacuuming.  Vacuum everything.  Vacuum furniture, mattress, under bed, furniture and even the walls.  You said, “We've also noticed quite a bit of dust in the air here,,.”, which would help me to believe that you, like everyone else, have dust mites.   It is no big deal unless you have an allergic reaction to their allergens,  Vacuuming w/a very good vacuum cleaner will help.

I have a saying, “Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you”.
This message was modified Jul 30, 2008 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #16   Jul 30, 2008 7:26 am
techphet wrote:
After a few hours at a vacuum store we decided on the Simplicity Verve.  It didn't take long for the salesperson to sell my wife and I on a canister instead of an upright: 

The salesperson was also able to offer a larger discount on the Simplicity and threw in a few extra filters and bags.  So, the Verve it is. 

The store we purchased from also sold Dysons, which I had mentioned since I've seen so much advertising for them.  The salesperson did not feel that the vacuums offered high quality filtration at all but does sell them to people who come in looking specifically for them.  The store actually seems to carry about every brand of vacuum I've ever heard of...  Is this normal?

Thanks once again for helping me get started here.  I'm off to vacuum everything I can find. 

Tech

Great choice David, congrats.  You and your dear Wife will enjoy vacuuming with the Verve which BTW means lively and animated spirit with vigor, enthusiam, and vivaciousness!  Just what the house doctor ordered for your old dwelling! 

You found an excellent vacuum store with a smart owner/operator.  And you did your research and homework before hand.  Very smart.  

I would do the same: Carry dysons for those customers who specifically ask by name and provide caveats about the limitations of the product.  And to be a warranty dealer for parts and service.  I would offer all other vacuum brands too and not specialize in one.  Why?  People are like finger prints:  They are all different.  Give them choices and they can decide what will make them happy and satisfied vacuum customers.  Just as you and your Wife did.

After vacuuming and using awhile, come back and tell us what you think.  And if you have the time and inclination, there is a link on this site for posting reviews of vacuums.  Just click on the reviews tab at the top of the page.  Your review may assist others shopping for a new vacuum.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 30, 2008 by CarmineD
techphet

Reply #17   Jul 30, 2008 11:27 am
Mike, as you said, I have already found myself pushing the canister to the site.  Very nice.

Carmine, I will definitely post a review after using the Verve for a while. 

I hate to "Dyson bash" but before doing research I thought Dysons were the top-of-the-line.  I do have to wonder why Simplicity and Miele do not have advertising campaigns as large as Dyson does.  Perhaps they are a bit more ethical about their marketing

I mentioned that I liked how the powerheads move similar to what I saw when looking at the Dyson Ball in the commercials- just seeing the idea a few months back made me think "well, that's innovative."  The salesperson said she thinks she would have carpel tunnel if she used the Ball. 

I didn't take her very seriously at first since I wasn't even trying it but after pushing the small canister powerhead around for a while I think I understand.  It's not that it is difficult but it certainly isn't as easy as I first expected.  I can only imagine what it would be like with an entire upright attached to it. 

Tech
Motorhead

Reply #18   Jul 30, 2008 4:23 pm
Hi Tech,

Congratulations on your purchase.  Simplicity is a very well-made brand that will last for many years to come, so plan on keeping the machine at least 15 years (as I've seen).  And with the sealed HEPA system you won't have to worry about picking up lead paint chips, either.

Regarding Dysons, even as a Dyson fan I do not put them in the high-end category, they are more of an upper mid-priced cleaner.  Contrary to popular belief, Dyson is far from the most expensive vacuum cleaner out there, just one of the more expensive vacuums sold in big-box stores.  If everyone were to buy a Dyson from an independent dealer they would not have to pay as much and possibly get additional accessories.  There is a reason for the aggressive marketing campaign.  Dysons are built for performance and performance alone, and for those who might be willing to sacrifice a bit of convenience for that.  It is not trying to be the Mercedes of vacuums, it is the Corvette.  To me, the Ball was not necessarily designed for comfort or ease of use, but rather to enable vacuuming crowded rooms to be done in half the time it would take with a regular cleaner (due to constant maneuvering around furniture, etc.).  A few simple turns and that's it.

Were you pushing the Dyson's power nozzle with the cleaner running?  It could be due to the type of carpeting in the store.  On the right pile of carpet (or going with the pile not against it), the Motorhead should pull itself along nicely. 

-MH
This message was modified Jul 30, 2008 by Motorhead
techphet

Reply #19   Jul 31, 2008 8:25 pm
Mike_W wrote:
The Verve has very good filtration if you use the HiFlow “HEPA” bags and the filters.  You will find very little to no dust in the bag compartment when it comes time to change the bag.

I spent a few hours vacuuming half my house.  I took a look in the bag compartment and I was a bit surprised at what I saw.  What do you all make of this image?  Perhaps I am not using the HiFlow HEPA bag?

I removed most of the dust by hand.  The majority of it was clumped up on the motor filter. 

The exterior of the vacuum itself looks pristine.

Also, is the vacuum supposed to ship with an instruction manual?  I found an opened bag at the bottom of the box that the vacuum was in and although the box did not seem to have a second layer of tape on it or anything it seems as though the vacuum may have been lightly used before.  Not a big deal to me but I would like the manual if there is one (I checked the website and did not find a PDF).

I'll give the store a call tomorrow.

Tech
This message was modified Jul 31, 2008 by techphet
dusty

Reply #20   Jul 31, 2008 10:14 pm
techphet wrote:
I spent a few hours vacuuming half my house.  I took a look in the bag compartment and I was a bit surprised at what I saw.  What do you all make of this image?  Perhaps I am not using the HiFlow HEPA bag?

I removed most of the dust by hand.  The majority of it was clumped up on the motor filter. 

The exterior of the vacuum itself looks pristine.

Also, is the vacuum supposed to ship with an instruction manual?  I found an opened bag at the bottom of the box that the vacuum was in and although the box did not seem to have a second layer of tape on it or anything it seems as though the vacuum may have been lightly used before.  Not a big deal to me but I would like the manual if there is one (I checked the website and did not find a PDF).

I'll give the store a call tomorrow.

Tech

From the looks of things I'd say you have either a previously used machine or the bag wasn't seated properly into the bag holder.  There is no other reason for that amount of dust to be in the chamber, not even after a year of household use.  The machines do indeed come with a manual and registration card.  I'd be making a return trip back to the dealer to find out what's going on.

Dusty
Replies: 11 - 20 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42