Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Considering the Simplicity Synergy...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
techphet

Considering the Simplicity Synergy...
Original Message   Jul 24, 2008 7:12 pm
I started the thread about lead cleanup and the Eureka sealed-HEPA system...

I'm now looking at spending the extra dollars to purchase the Simplicity Synergy.  The price tag alone makes me worry that the Eureka sealed HEPA isn't as impressive as the marketing makes it sound.

Again, I know a vacuum cleaner alone isn't a solution to a lead-paint chipping problem but I am venturing to guess that the right vacuum cleaner (with a sealed HEPA system) will improve the situation while the wrong vacuum cleaner (an inexpensive Bissell or Eureka) may actually make the situation worse. 

I cringe to think that every time I'm vacuuming I'm just blowing more lead dust up into the air and making the environment more hazardous than it was to begin with.

The Simplicity salesman I spoke with told me that the Synergy air filtration was "hospital grade."  I also remember reading on here that "hospital grade" is not necessarily a good thing.  Can anyone elaborate on this?

Is $700 a reasonable price for a Synergy (this is marked down $200 with a trade-in). 

I've seen the Minuteman Lead HEPA for $625 here.  Any opinions on if the filtration of the Synergy would be equal to or better than this Minuteman Lead HEPA?

I also forgot to ask the Simplicity salesman about canister vacuums- would these be less expensive?

He did confirm that a bagless vacuum is not the way to go- I will not be purchasing one of these.

Thanks again,

Tech
Replies: 1 - 10 of 68NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: Considering the Simplicity Synergy...
Reply #1   Jul 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Hi Tech, are you leaning towards an upright?.

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jul 24, 2008 7:28 pm
Hello Tech:

The SIMPLICITY Synergy is an excellent choice in upright vacuums and comes with a cloth/paper bag.  It's been on the market for several years.  $700 is a tad bit pricey IMHO.  Full sized canisters will probably cost you more, especially in the SIMPLICITY.  But SIMPLICITY has a mid-size line of canisters that are in the price range of $500-$700.

If your preference for housecleaning is in uprights, the Synergy would be an excellent purchase for you.  BTW, I believe it comes with a 6 year warranty which includes the kevlar belt and LED lights.  It also has a 100% sealed S class HEPA system.  Alot of metal too:  Stainless steel soleplate, aluminum brush roll with replaceable brush strips and an aluminum tube handle.  I believe the cord length is 34-35 feet.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #3   Jul 24, 2008 7:38 pm
Now your into quality central vacuums with the simplicity price, could this be the way to go?

MOLE
Motorhead

Reply #4   Jul 24, 2008 7:54 pm
Hi Tech,

Reading about your situation I would imagine a dedicated lead vacuum would be overkill and an unnecessary waste of money.  Yes, there are contaminants in lead paint, and care should be taken when cleaning them up (as with any material, one does not normally ingest or try to breathe in non-lead paint!) however it is not as dangerous as we would be led to believe.  As with asbestos, the potential for contamination is frequently overstated (in fact it would occur to me that disturbing either material by trying to remove them would cause more harm than good, vs. simply leaving it alone), and as long as you are not careless with cleaning it up you should have no problems.  Vacuuming up peeling paint chips (not fine, airborne dust) into a sealed vacuum bag would fit under this category.  I don't think I would use a bagless vacuum to clean up lead paint, as it seems more of it would be disturbed from moving around in the bin. 

That aside, you would benefit from a sealed HEPA cleaner regardless, especially in an older home that is not well-insulated from dust, etc.  Do you have carpets, or mostly bare floors?  If you have carpets, then I would go in the direction of the Synergy.  Although I thought you mentioned you "don't have $600+ to invest in a vacuum cleaner rated for lead cleanup"?  You can find a good sealed HEPA cleaner at an independent store for a lot less than what the Synergy costs.  Keep in mind that is Simplicity's flagship upright and (undoubtedly) the model the dealer will try to point you to first.  

For bare floors, however, I would go in the direction of a small Miele canister, either the Naturell or the S4 Galaxy series.  Both are 100% sealed HEPA cleaners and do not cost a fortune.  The Naturell is a basic, no-frills model for around $250, and would be perfect for your situation.  Due to the low price it is not listed on the Internet but walk into any Miele dealer and you will likely find one.  The S4 Galaxy series offer upgrades such as a speed control, and additional accessories, but are virtually the same underneath.  Do you have any independent Miele dealers in your area?  Definitely check them out and see if one of these models fits your needs. 

Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice,
-MH
techphet

Reply #5   Jul 24, 2008 9:09 pm
Thanks for the recommendations Motorhead.  I've figured if I'm innovative enough I can find a way to come up with $600+ for a vacuum but it will be cutting things close.  I'm thinking the efforts will be worth it in order to give me the peace of mind that my vacuum is not making my indoor environment worse each time I vacuum. 

As for your question about the floors, most are bare- I will definitely check into the Mieles that you recommended.  I just checked and there is a dealer not too far from me that I planned on visiting (they sell the Simplicity vacuums as well).  The sub-$300 range would be much more comfortable than $700!

I'd like to learn more about the HEPA class standards.  Carmine pointed out that the Synergy "has a 100% sealed S class HEPA system."  Are there any decent references or discussions recommended (I'll do some Googling following this post). 

Regards,

Tech
This message was modified Jul 29, 2008 by techphet
CarmineD

Reply #6   Jul 24, 2008 9:35 pm
Three Step S-Class Filtration System
99.9% Effective at Removing All Particles to 0.3 Microns
  1. First, debris is picked-up by the power brush agitation and vacuum suction and then moved up and into the three layer filter bag for the main debris collection.

2. Then, suctioned air moves through the entire dust bag and into a fiberglass-free hospital grade micro-filter capturing the remaining smaller particles.

3. Finally, a fiberglass-free micro-exhaust filter cleans the exhaust air that the vacuum emits.

Hello Tech:  Sorry for not explaining.  MIELE vacuums meet the same requirements for sealed S-Class HEPA.  Also, excellent choice.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #7   Jul 24, 2008 10:15 pm
G'day Tech,

If you're trying to cut costs and are mainly bare floor you may want to look at the Simplicity Jessie.  It uses a hepa bag and filter in a sealed system but is designed for hard surfaces and small amounts of carpet.  If a powerhead is a must a good deal can usually be had on the Simplicity S20, while not a completely sealed system it still uses a hepa bag (same as the Jessie) and if you swap out the standard Riccar hepa for a Eureka True Hepa (they are interchangeable) you'll have a well filtered vacuum.  Sealed systems are best but as always it's what you can do for the dollar that usually matters most.

Dusty
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #8   Jul 25, 2008 12:33 am
My opinion, for what its worth.

No big box store machine is a true HEPA vacuum, you will only find these in the specialty stores, and on brands such as Simplicity and Miele.  The Simplicity Synergy has 2 levels of filtration, standard and plus.  For lead I wouuld suggest upgrading the model you are looking at to Plus if you choose that model.  The Hepa Plus filter with the sealed system gives the vacuum a rating of 100% (tested with the particle scanner thing) of all particles down to .3 microns.

But like some others here have said, you need to see if the Synergy is the right one for you.  It would be a great vacuum for a house with all carpet or mixed carpet, rugs, floors.  For all bare floors with a few areas of carpet you may want to consider something else, like a suction only HEPA canister, or a canister with a mini power head if you have larger area rugs, or 1-2 small rooms of carpet.  The best way to go is to go to the vacuum store and be specific, tell them you need HEPA and describe the house you will be cleaning, such as floor surfaces and other things like if you have pets, and let a experianced sales person help you decide what features you want/need.  And you can try them out while you are there.
techphet

Reply #9   Jul 25, 2008 7:55 am
Once again, thanks for the responses.  I wanted to have a bit of knowledge about my situation and the vacuums available before walking into a vacuum cleaner store and I feel that I now have that. 

Carmine,

Thanks are there other classes with similar specs as well (better and worse than S-class)?

Tech
This message was modified Jul 29, 2008 by techphet
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jul 25, 2008 8:03 am
David:

For vacuum cleaners, being tested and rated as certified S-Class sealed HEPA is the best.  The certification refers to the HEPA filter and the vacuum cleaner working as a sealed system.

FYI:

http://articles.webraydian.com/article10123-How_to_Select_a_HEPA_Vacuum_Cleaner.html

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 25, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 10 of 68NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42