Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 11 - 20 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #11   Jan 5, 2008 2:01 am
Venson wrote:

PS -- I accept this as Dyson's admission that "no suction loss" requires a little effort to maintan.  No shame in that.  Rainbow got around to finally admitting that it's dust capture hype might not have been all they'd touted with the addition of a HEPA filter.

People aren't taking these claims the right way.  I have seen several people take "no loss of suction" as "I can suck up whatever I want and I wont clog it".  They seem to think that a twig jammed in the U bend and everywhere else packed with dried leaves should be a warranty repair.  Warranties cover defective product, not defective user...
This message was modified Jan 5, 2008 by Vacuuman
CarmineD

Reply #12   Jan 5, 2008 7:09 am
Vacuuman wrote:
People aren't taking these claims the right way.  I have seen several people take "no loss of suction" as "I can suck up whatever I want and I wont clog it".  They seem to think that a twig jammed in the U bend and everywhere else packed with dried leaves should be a warranty repair.  Warranties cover defective product, not defective user...

This has always been true of some customers with vacuums under warranty.  For example, I recall a husband and wife coming into my store with a new HOOVER canister under warranty shortly after the Christmas holidays.  I was an authorized warranty HOOVER dealer and the vacuum was purchased at a big box retailer for a Christmas present.  When the suction stopped, the lady called the big box retailer which quickly directed her to my store.

She caught a nylon stocking in the hose.  Zero suction at the hose end.  Perfect suction at the machine.   I removed the hose end and stocking in front of them.  And was willing not to charge for the 10 minute repair.  But the husband expected the repair for free and was not appreciative of my willingness not to charge.  Not the wife.  When I "claimed" that a repair fee was allowable because the warranty didn't cover user fault [read stupidity] he still resisted.  And still claiming warranty privileges.  The wife was of a different mind than her husband and was willing and wanting to pay.  To avoid an argument between the two in my place of business, which I said out loud to the husband, I agreed that was the reason I would not charge.  I said a few dollars is not worth a husband and wife quarrel so soon after Christmas.  The husband, by this time feeling guilty, quickly changed his mind and handed me a $5 bill which of course I took.  And I passed it along to my nephew after the couple went on their merry way.  The business lesson was worth much more than the $5.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 5, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #13   Jan 5, 2008 9:38 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dyson smartly and finally devised a simple way to help folks keep their Dyson's in its "No Loss of Suction" shape.  Go here.        DIB

Do us a favor and dont start this nonsense AGAIN,

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #14   Jan 5, 2008 4:28 pm
mole wrote:

MOLE

Mole, your actions and language speak for itself.  I, not you, know how to get folks from Google and onto my posts and Ads By Google.  Quit embarrassing yourself with your immaturity, get out of the way and let me make Abbysguide some money.        DIB

This message was modified Jan 5, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #15   Jan 5, 2008 5:37 pm
Vacuuman wrote:

Vacuman,

I quite agree that Dyson's "no loss" messaging can and/or is confusing/misleading.  Dyson need only to better educate his customers.  There is no reason folks should not be fully aware their Dyson's can and do clog in time.  Apple computer is guilty of this too.  Steve Jobs used to sell folks on the iMacs small learning curve buy showing and highlighting tiny Apple manuals in their commercials versus a PC's.  Macs are super easy to use but that easy.        DIB

This message was modified Jan 6, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #16   Jan 5, 2008 6:15 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

It is a good offering on the part of Dyson though there's no way of knowing percentage-wise how many owners will be able to avail themselves of the reminder.

Euro-Pro had a subscription service of sorts a few years back.  They sent out replacement filters "x" times per year after you paid an up-front fee.

Best,

Venson

PS -- I accept this as Dyson's admission that "no suction loss" requires a little effort to maintan.  No shame in that.  Rainbow got around to finally admitting that it's dust capture hype might not have been all they'd touted with the addition of a HEPA filter.

Venson,

I appreciated your response here today and have in the past, even when I disagree.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jan 5, 2008 7:21 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dyson smartly and finally devised a simple way to help folks keep their Dyson's in its "No Loss of Suction" shape.  Go here.        DIB

Here's a possible reason. 

Several months ago I was walking to my vehicle with my dear Wife after leaving the local COSTCO in N. Las Vegas.  As I approached my vehicle, a woman in her early to mid 30's was locking her car getting her infant son, and pushing a dyson DC14 COSTCO Exclusive in a store cart toward the direction of the store.   I believe this is the dyson model that sells for $469 at COSTCO.  I walked over to her and asked her what she was doing with the dyson.  She said she was returning it for a refund.  I pardoned myself for intruding and asked her why?  She said the suction wasn't as good as it was when it was new.  I asked her how old the dyson was?  She said a little more than a year old although from what I saw, it looked just slightly used.  I asked if she ever cleaned the filter(s)?  She said without hesitation, No, Never.  I said to her that the filter is probably clogged causing the fall off in suction.  I said the filter needs cleaning every 6 months or so according to the dyson instruction manual, which she had in her hand.  

At this point, I could see she was becoming annoyed.  She said emphatically that when she bought the dyson from COSTCO she was told that it never clogged and never loses suction.  She also told me that she was told it never needs maintenance and will not cost her anything over time and usage.   I asked her if she really believed those claims?  And she said to me I most certainly do and that's why I bought it for $500.  I told her she was lied to on each and every account.  Of course this probably only served to strengthen her resolve to return it.  And we said our good byes.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 5, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #18   Jan 5, 2008 8:43 pm
mole wrote:

MOLE

Hi Mole,

I didn't see anything wrong or "nonsensical" about DIB's original post, I think you're being WAY too harsh but I digress.  Unless it's a Level 3 machine (in that case you're good for 6 years), the pre-motor filter *does* have to be cleaned periodically, in this case 6 months.  In fact, I was vacuuming with my DC21 yesterday and since I had not checked it in a while, I decided to see how dirty the pre-motor filter was.  I popped the bin off and opened the cover, and sure enough it had a small amount of dust on it, no doubt from all of the fine dust I had been picking up with the machine.  However, I also noticed that it did not span the entire surface of the filter, and probably did *not* have to be washed yet.  The machine's performance never changed over time.  I rinsed it out anyway, and it seemed most of the dirt was on the surface of the filter.  This was after 9 months, not 6, although I on average probably didn't use the machine as frequently as some.  I certainly did (and still do) give it a workout, though.

Hi Carmine,

That would really be something, financing something like a vacuum cleaner, a step back to the old days.  Can't say I've ever heard of that occurring now, but correct me if I'm wrong.  I honestly don't think Dyson would ever put a $900 vacuum in big box stores.  I would bet that this one will be independent-only, but we'll have to wait and find out.  If it does wind up in big box stores I will be shocked.  The Costco story you mentioned is a classic example of an "average user" not knowing what they're doing, and (to add insult to injury) not taking the time to read the manual.  That's no different than someone using the same paper bag for 6 months, or worse, never changing it at all.  I had to wonder what she was picking up, though, as even in that situation I don't think the performance would drop that significantly over not cleaning the pre-motor filter.  But, stranger things have happened...

Hi Vacuumin,

I agree with what you said about "defective users."  They think that they can suck up a pair of XXL pantyhose/underwear, twigs, and who-knows-what else (maybe we don't want to know) and expect the machine to work as intended.  That's definitely taking the "no loss of suction" claim way too far.  When I think of  "no loss of suction", I think of the machine picking up copious amounts of fine dust without the machine's performance being affected.   I can see how other "average users" with no knowledge of how the machine works or what they can and cannot pick up interpreting that claim differently.

-MH
This message was modified Jan 6, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jan 5, 2008 10:49 pm
Motorhead wrote:

Hi Carmine,

I honestly don't think Dyson would ever put a $900 vacuum in big box stores, it would be the most expensive big-box vacuum yet. 
--MH

Dyson IS the most expensive big box store vacuum sold.  And comes with a 5 year limited warranty.   Also a first and only for a big box store vacuum

Carmine D. 

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #20   Jan 6, 2008 2:01 am
Carmine, I once had a customer tell me to my face that I was lieing to her when i told her she needed to wash the filters regularly.  I have also had customers come in with well used and very dirty Dysons, and claim that the machine never needs any servicing or cleaning at their cost. 

But I have to say the worst ones are the Kirby owners with their "lifetime warranty" that covers everything that ever goes wrong for any reason...     They don't tend to take the news to well.

Replies: 11 - 20 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42