Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 1 - 10 of 121NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #1   Dec 19, 2007 11:13 pm
I would really like to see a new flagship upright with the newer Ball pivot, Core Separation, DDM, and a brushless sonic cleaning head (what I would expect from a $900 Dyson upright)....but it's probably just the DC22.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Dec 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Motorhead,

Dyson typically has a launch-event in NY when he introduces his new inventions.  These launch-events garner much exposure and/or press.  A $900 Dyson vacuum? - Is he targeting the Miele’s or alike high end niche?   The DC22 seems the most likely to be released.  I can see him launching a commercial vacuum at the VDTA but not a revolutionary consumer vacuum like the DC22 (IMO).        DIB

Motorhead

Reply #3   Dec 21, 2007 4:08 pm
Hi iMacDaddy,

One of the things I would LOVE to see Dyson release would be an upright (DC17 variant perhaps?) with DDM technology.  I'd also like to see the DC15/Ball design re-worked...it seems like a decent machine, but to me there are quite a few shortcomings that don't have to be there, the side suction channel being one of them.  Have you seen the video on YouTube of the DC15 not able to pick up a piece of paper from the edge?  I tried it with my DC21 (will get around to a video after I finish a few projects) where the suction channel in the Motorhead is in the center, and it did fine.

The worst Dyson there was, in my opinion, was that horrid DC11 Telescope canister.  Talk about no bang for the buck, I'm glad that thing is gone, the DC21 is 100 times better and is the "traditional" Dyson canister shape (like the UK DC05 Motorhead and of course the Fantom-made Lightning here), not some strange-looking twin-chamber monstrosity that performs poorly on top of that.  I don't really care for the DC07 or DC14 designs either, truth be known; like the DC15, they could stand a redesign as well...

Hi DIB,

That's another one that I think would have some potential as well, the commercial upright.  It would be perfect for all of that fine dust in commercial settings, "office dirt" as I call it.  Seems like it could also stand the abuse of hotel housekeeping staff very well, plus they would *see* when they needed to empty it instead of the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality they seem to have with their Oreck/Sanitaire/etc. bags.  ;-)

I too am wondering about such a high price, I wonder if this one will be sold in big-box stores or independent only?  Honestly, at $900, it would almost have to have the digital motor.  I can't see anyone in their right mind paying that much for a Dyson with a traditional brush-type Lamb motor over a Miele.

Merry Christmas,
Motorhead
mole

Reply #4   Dec 22, 2007 9:21 am
Hi Motorhead,I agree with you,the canisters have not sold well at 500.00, what makes DYSON think they are going to sell at 900.00?.

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Dec 22, 2007 6:02 pm

My two cents…

If Dyson could sell the DC22 and the DC12 exclusively (no big box) thru independent retailers, my guess would be that this would be a smart thing for Dyson to do.  Here is why.  Many anti-Dyson vacuum dealers and/or enthusiasts (with vacuum dealers as friends) travel up and down the internet bad mouthing Dyson and his products in reviews and forums.  From eBay to YouTube and anything in between these “vacuum experts” with perhaps much idle time are in my opinion responsible for 70% to 80% of anti-Dyson bad mouthing.  Consumers who walk into an anti-Dyson vacuum dealer get the anti-Dyson education, then these consumers simply post and repeat at online forums this anti-Dyson education.  I’ve seen it plenty of times.  Dyson could convert these dealers with exclusives to two revolutionary and high margin (high margin is just a guess) vacuums, the DC22 and DC12.  Dyson could easily cut the negative online reviews and posts in half by giving the dealers these exclusives and hopefully profits.        DIB

mole

Reply #6   Dec 23, 2007 11:04 am
Hi D.I.B., My suggestion to you would be to check out the HISTORY of vacuums and vacuum dealers in the U.S.A., What you are talking about has already FAILED miserably,

READ THIS POST CAREFULLY,

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #7   Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm
mole wrote:
Hi D.I.B., My suggestion to you would be to check out the HISTORY of vacuums and vacuum dealers in the U.S.A., What you are talking about has already FAILED miserably,

READ THIS POST CAREFULLY,

MOLE

Mole,

I’d be glad to read up on vacuum history and/or dealers having exclusives.  I Googled and searched thru AbbysGuide and found nothing on the topic/s as you suggest.  If you would be kind enough to post a link I would appreciate it.  Thanks.        DIB

P.S.  It was a vacuum dealer (a pretty damn smart one too IMO) who suggested to me that the DC12 should be sold only thru independents.  This conversation was before the DC22 launch.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #8   Dec 31, 2007 5:21 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Motorhead,I agree with you,the canisters have not sold well at 500.00, what makes DYSON think they are going to sell at 900.00?.

MOLE

Consumers and retalilers now have the added adverse impact of the credit crunch due to the US housing market going belly up.  Along with rising home and vehicle fuel costs, consumers are getting squeezed pretty hard in the pocket books.  High priced vacuums at big box retailers are a hard sell.  Maybe dyson will ameliorate the condition by offering financing to buyers of its vacuums on credit. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #9   Jan 4, 2008 7:07 pm
Dyson smartly and finally devised a simple way to help folks keep their Dyson's in its "No Loss of Suction" shape.  Go here.        DIB
This message was modified Jan 4, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #10   Jan 4, 2008 10:42 pm
Hi DIB,

It is a good offering on the part of Dyson though there's no way of knowing percentage-wise how many owners will be able to avail themselves of the reminder.

Euro-Pro had a subscription service of sorts a few years back.  They sent out replacement filters "x" times per year after you paid an up-front fee.

Best,

Venson

PS -- I accept this as Dyson's admission that "no suction loss" requires a little effort to maintan.  No shame in that.  Rainbow got around to finally admitting that it's dust capture hype might not have been all they'd touted with the addition of a HEPA filter.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 121NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42