Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 49 - 58 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #49   Jul 9, 2009 9:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1'

Excellent question.  Three things have to happen to jump start dyson sales in 2009 and 2010 enough to weather the current economic tsunami and keep the dyson brand afloat in the USA, its major market. 

1. One or more of the new dyson vacuum products have to land top spots in Consumer Reports rankings and ratings soon. 
  2. Dyson has to discontinue problematic models and big box retailers have to deeply discount these models to get them off the shelves and out of the warehouses:  Models like DC07, DC14, DC15, DC16, DC17, DC18, DC20, DC21 and DC24.  They have to be gone. 
  3. Dyson has to discount  and/or provide incentives on its latest models like the DC22, 23, 27, 28, 30 and 31 to make them competitive price wise with the big box store brand vacuum prices.  If not, dyson sales will continue to be non-existent except for the discontinued models that will be sold way below MSRP, and have already been counted in dyson sales years ago.

Does James have the wherewithal, time and business skills to do these 3 things?  Time will tell and the clock is ticking. 

Carmine D.

hi carmine

i gotta say id be blown away if dyson makes it in one of the top spots......he'll be in open water now....with all the other sharks.

more than one of his vacs  in a top spot ? ...just dont see it happening

dc-14  thru 24....consumers already  been burned on these models and they have passed the word...

..so hes gotta clearence these to reel in a new crowd of the uninformed and unknowing .  

dc-22 thru31....hmmmmm lets see.   a  [HIGH END]  dyson at bbx store brand prices...how dare you speak such words MR.CARMINE.

but i do believe its when he lowers the prices to [CHEAP VACUUM ] LEVEL IS WHEN HIS PROBLEMS HAVE JUST BEGUN.

its then that hell have to face the very compitition that has feasted on him in the past issues of CR.... this time at a much lower price...

where the big sharks feed....i in some ways i feel that dyson has avoided this move because he knows the outcome and damage that can and will come from hoover-oreck-panasonic.. ect  ...the performance of his very best  HIGH END  line of vacuums has been bested

by hoover -oreck  and panasonics entry level models.....does dyson have what it takes to survive and pull it out..? maybe.  i think hes a smart guy.

.with some  great  ideas..[ddm]..and deserves credit when its due....but his vacuums are way more  trouble than they are worth.

and even if he does lower prices to bbx store brand level...and some do sell.   nobody wants to work on them ...still.  

none of us wants to spend the next few [warranty] years working on the same dyson year after year.

thats why most if not all independants dont want them in the store....because once you sell them.....you gotta service them....

but thats just my opinion.....my freedom of thought  on the issue....i may not know alot about alot of things....but i sure know enough to know to

STAY AWAY FROM DYSONS  !..........thats all.

CarmineD

Reply #50   Jul 10, 2009 6:55 am
HARDSELL wrote:
You said the same thing prior to Dyson sinking Hoover.  Hoover USA is dead.  You have told the world for 4 or 5 years that Dyson is doomed.  Maybe if you preach doom long enough it will happen.  In the meantime I have proven you wrong numerous times.

Beg to differ HS:  Since the dyson launch in the USA, over 7 years ago, I've been critical of the high dyson prices for the lackluster performance.  And the lack of acceptance for dyson products by independent vacuum store owners and operators who have found dysons to be problematic for parts and repairs.  I said the combination of these negatives would bode bad for dyson when the economy tanks, as it has.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #51   Jul 10, 2009 7:02 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

i gotta say id be blown away if dyson makes it in one of the top spots......he'll be in open water now....with all the other sharks.

more than one of his vacs  in a top spot ? ...just dont see it happening

dc-14  thru 24....consumers already  been burned on these models and they have passed the word...

..so hes gotta clearence these to reel in a new crowd of the uninformed and unknowing .  

dc-22 thru31....hmmmmm lets see.   a  [HIGH END]  dyson at bbx store brand prices...how dare you speak such words MR.CARMINE.

but i do believe its when he lowers the prices to [CHEAP VACUUM ] LEVEL IS WHEN HIS PROBLEMS HAVE JUST BEGUN.

its then that hell have to face the very compitition that has feasted on him in the past issues of CR.... this time at a much lower price...

where the big sharks feed....i in some ways i feel that dyson has avoided this move because he knows the outcome and damage that can and will come from hoover-oreck-panasonic.. ect  ...the performance of his very best  HIGH END  line of vacuums has been bested

by hoover -oreck  and panasonics entry level models.....does dyson have what it takes to survive and pull it out..? maybe.  i think hes a smart guy.

.with some  great  ideas..[ddm]..and deserves credit when its due....but his vacuums are way more  trouble than they are worth.

and even if he does lower prices to bbx store brand level...and some do sell.   nobody wants to work on them ...still.  

none of us wants to spend the next few [warranty] years working on the same dyson year after year.

thats why most if not all independants dont want them in the store....because once you sell them.....you gotta service them....

but thats just my opinion.....my freedom of thought  on the issue....i may not know alot about alot of things....but i sure know enough to know to

STAY AWAY FROM DYSONS  !..........thats all.

Hello 'turtle1"

For all the reasons you mentioned, dyson vacuums can survive in big box stores only as a niche seller in the USA.  For those consumers who want a higher price bagless vacuum, come what may, and are willing to pay a slight premium, not a typical dyson premium, for the bagless feature.  Of course, once dyson lowers his product prices to the current big box store levels he will have to downsize his work force and operations.  The excess costs are bleeding dyson cash.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Jul 10, 2009 8:23 am
Venson wrote:
Hiya MOLE,

In the recent past and up to the present the American public's buying habits haven't been about buying but charging things to credit cards. Those days are over for a lot of us -- especially if the unemployment stats of 9.5 percent haven't changed from the other day.

Venson

Hello Venson:

You posted several days ago and I excerpted this part.  The unemployment claims this past week are close to 7 MILLION.  Warren Buffett and a group of business leaders met this past week in Idaho as part of a yearly event.  WB was interviewed on the state of the economy and how well President Obama is steering the ship through the troubled financial waters.  WB was asked about the unemployment rate.  WB said it will go higher.  When pressed on a figure he refused to say.  When pressed further if it could go to 11 percent, WB said while he is not predicting it, yes it will.  And possibly higher.  Asked what President and Congress can do, WB said a second stumulus package including another round of payments to the public.  Will it happen?  Well, WB is called the Oracle of Omaha!

Carmine D. 

retardturtle1

Reply #53   Jul 10, 2009 1:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1"

For all the reasons you mentioned, dyson vacuums can survive in big box stores only as a niche seller in the USA.  For those consumers who want a higher price bagless vacuum, come what may, and are willing to pay a slight premium, not a typical dyson premium, for the bagless feature.  Of course, once dyson lowers his product prices to the current big box store levels he will have to downsize his work force and operations.  The excess costs are bleeding dyson cash.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

with all that downsizing across the board....that also includes his advertising...forcing dysons to put up or shut up.

that niche market is getting smaller....because many still remember  the dyson expierence.

look at his quality and performance  of...past , present  designs for all models...including prices. now imagine what  kind of quality and performance

the consumer /niche market  is going to get when he lowers those prices to bbx store level....to date he has yet to produce a vacuum on any level

that can compete with his direct compitition. ..and thats at dysons '' HIGH END''status....i do believe his compitition is eagerly awaiting his arrival.

reguardless of what dyson makes or produces in this new price segment ...i see a HOOVER TEMPO feasting on it ....just like before..

i among many others would recomend the sale of a tempo or used oreck over a new dyson every time .....

a

This message was modified Jul 10, 2009 by retardturtle1
CarmineD

Reply #54   Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

with all that downsizing across the board....that also includes his advertising...forcing dysons to put up or shut up.

that niche market is getting smaller....because many still remember  the dyson expierence.

look at his quality and performance  of...past , present  designs for all models...including prices. now imagine what  kind of quality and performance

the consumer /niche market  is going to get when he lowers those prices to bbx store level....to date he has yet to produce a vacuum on any level

that can compete with his direct compitition. ..and thats at dysons '' HIGH END''status....i do believe his compitition is eagerly awaiting his arrival.

reguardless of what dyson makes or produces in this new price segment ...i see a HOOVER TEMPO feasting on it ....just like before..

i among many others would recomend the sale of a tempo or used oreck over a new dyson every time .....

a

Hello 'turtle1'

I agree and added emphasis to your concluding statement which seals dyson's fate [IF IT SURVIVES the current economic tsunami in the USA] as a niche product.  HS and others here have heard me predict the dyson brand as a niche product in the USA.  No difference from a halo.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see dyson downsize mainstay operations to the UK and Europe with aminor presence in several USA big box retailers. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #55   Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:</p><p>You posted several days ago and I excerpted this part.  The unemployment claims this past week are close to 7 MILLION.  Warren Buffett and a group of business leaders met this past week in Idaho as part of a yearly event.  WB was interviewed on the state of the economy and how well President Obama is steering the ship through the troubled financial waters.  WB was asked about the unemployment rate.  WB said it will go higher.  When pressed on a figure he refused to say.  When pressed further if it could go to 11 percent, WB said while he is not predicting it, yes it will.  And possibly higher.  Asked what President and Congress can do, WB said a second stumulus package including another round of payments to the public.  Will it happen?  Well, WB is called the Oracle of Omaha!</p><p>Carmine D. 

Hiya Carmine,

I like it that President Obama -- without much fuss, fanfare or complaint -- has rolled up his sleeves and is at least trying to dig us out of the mess his predecessor and the former crew left for not only him but the country to deal with.

However, I accept the stimulus package thing may not be all it's cracked up to be in some ways. I was listening to a radio program yesterday where it was claimed that lots of states are using a substantial part of that money to repair roadways. This is just an instance but per the commentator on the air, road repair as opposed to making new roads generates substantially less jobs.

I had to wonder at this as last night, on my way home from the Delaware Water Gap, my trip was continually slowed down by road work efforts in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.

There was lots and lots of heavy-duty machinery and lighting gear but not an astounding number of actuals workers at the sites I passed. I would also think, computer oriented as we are, that not a lot of internal staffing is required to handle reports, work orders, payroll other necessaries. If that is correct, even as much as I'd like the front struts and rear shocks on my old beater to be saved, then yeah -- it's a new day but the same old you know what.

As with the reprimands that went to corporations who used bailout money to provide bonuses, states may need a good talking to as wells over best use of stimulus funds. How the like should be put I can't say especially since some of that money may well be covering the extension I'm getting on my unemployment benefits one day due the jobs it hasn't yet helped to develop or return.

That said and getting back to vacuum cleaners . . .

No jobs -- no money. That is why I remain highly skeptical of any manufacturer's effort in producing less than practical product these days. Good times or bad, appliance and electronic devices in the home are going to break down. However, in hard times the first plan of action is repair, if possible. If not we will replace them with items new or used but either way replacement or repair only happen in accordance with our financial wherewithall to do so. You can't spend what you don't have. Money being a main issue, it usual to do that which is the most easily affordable and also most practical. If push comes to shove, I'll be cleaning out my car with a whisk broom.

Still too high but the best prices on the new Dyson doo-dads would have been $79.95 to $89.995. If any company these days can SUCCESSFULLY peddle non-necessities at noosebleed-high price Dyson is surely going to have to prove this one for me. If it succeds, I only ask to be informed who's buying them. I'd like to start making new friends.

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #56   Jul 10, 2009 3:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1'

I agree and added emphasis to your concluding statement which seals dyson's fate [IF IT SURVIVES the current economic tsunami in the USA] as a niche product.  HS and others here have heard me predict the dyson brand as a niche product in the USA.  No difference from a halo.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see dyson downsize mainstay operations to the UK and Europe with aminor presence in several USA big box retailers. 

Carmine D.

hi carmine
But then again dyson  may survive.......we must not forget about  the ''DYSON ELITE''......a '' niche '' group of  dedicated  and loyal supporters....

to  SIR JAMES and his '' niche ''vacuum ....but never mind the fact that some of those  '' DYSON ELITE '' dont own a dyson..never baught a dyson

or wont buy a dyson....hmmm.... yeah  thats got  '' LOYALTY ''  written all over it.....now with loyalty like that ,,how can dyson go wrong.

Venson

Reply #57   Jul 10, 2009 6:39 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine<BR>But then again dyson  may survive.......we must not forget about  the ''DYSON ELITE''......a '' niche '' group of  dedicated  and loyal supporters....</p><p> to  SIR JAMES and his '' niche ''vacuum ....but never mind the fact that some of those  '' DYSON ELITE '' dont own a dyson..never baught a dyson</p><p>or wont buy a dyson....hmmm.... yeah  thats got  '' LOYALTY ''  written all over it.....now with loyalty like that ,,how can dyson go wrong.

Let's be honest. Dyson has a right to exist the same as any other manufacturer. My complaint most times has to do with practicality, performance and price not only by way of Dyson which in the end is far less expensive than Miele, Bosch, Rainbow, Kirby, FQ, Miracle Mate and the Schoettler machines. So far none them are out of business either.

A person has the right to whatever brand or model vacuum strikes his or her fancy. However, if asked for a recommendation I will not lean on hype.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #58   Jul 10, 2009 7:18 pm
Venson wrote:
Let's be honest. Dyson has a right to exist the same as any other manufacturer. My complaint most times has to do with practicality, performance and price not only by way of Dyson which in the end is far less expensive than Miele, Bosch, Rainbow, Kirby, FQ, Miracle Mate and the Schoettler machines. So far none them are out of business either.

A person has the right to whatever brand or model vacuum strikes his or her fancy. However, if asked for a recommendation I will not lean on hype.

Venson

Hi Venson:

James was totally unprepared for the economic conditions existing in the world today.  The dyson business model, sales thru big box stores, which are suffering from the worse consumer buying recession since the Great Depression, is a very shakey sales venue right now.  The other brands you site have been tried and tested in the past and survived well.  Why?  Good business models to weather all economic conditions.  MIELE and BOSCH brands have the added benefits of  a diverse range of household appliances as well as the German engineering to boot.  James' business model puts the fate of the bulk of dysons' sales into the hands of third party big box retailers.  Same with dyson parts and repairs which rely on third party independent vacuum store owners and operators.  In hard times, these third party concerns are more concerned with their own survival and not that of a unrelated brand for which they have no vested interest in survival.

Carmine D. 

Replies: 49 - 58 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42