Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 39 - 48 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #39   Jul 8, 2009 3:15 pm
bucks03 wrote:
I agree with Carmine D.   I'm also not impressed with the Dyson DC30 - 31 handehld.  Why hasn't Dyson got it into their heads that some people may want to have a corded option?   I have a DC16 which I do not feel is good for cleaning the car at all.  I have velour seats and the DC16 just cant get the lint up I have to scrub it out of the fabric with my hand - yes I do have to resort to lugging out the big Dyson DC04 upright to get any satisfactory outcome,

The DC16 battery was not particulary good at the beginning as the battery was new so it didnt quite last the full 6 mins, now its 3 years old the battery is on its last legs and keeps on conking out, I have to keep on preesing the button, the machine works for 4 seconds then the battery lights flash to say flat when the battery is not flat.  Not very impressive for a machine that cost £100.   The DC31 only adresses the need for a more powerful machine for only 10 mins - only 4 mins more than what the current DC16 did and what a price to have to pay for this if the battery technology isn't there, users will have to keep buying new batteries every so often so the machine wont quite last for 10 mins.  I cannot believe that Dyson sell their 'top range' Handheld for £150,  I could buy a full size vacuum cleaner at that price - Dyson must know that some people out there are suckers.  Like I was when I bought the DC16 for £100, what was I thinking of lol

suckers you say?..you must be refering to  the $250vac...that sells for $800....or the canisters.....or the handheld...

..then yes that would be most if not all [soon] that made the purchase of a  HIGH END ...[ive been told] dyson vacuum cleaner.

and dont forget about the teams of engineers.....who worked so hard on what you and soooooo many have pointed out.

look at  dysons entire line up...all HIGH END [ive been told] AT HIGH END PRICE..now look at the competitions entry level uprights and canisters.

[ie. tempo / panasonic3920 can /fuller ] all meet or exceed  all that  dyson has to offer...and will last as long or longer....all these at under $100.

with nowhere near the eventual nasty bagless clean out....thats fun...yeah...or spend $299 and get an incredible oreck and canister...package

that will outlast and out live all of the above ....so you can spend your money on a great vacuum -[hvr pan fuller]- and have plenty left over to enjoy

have fun with...or buy a dyson with all your money...and sit home and look at it...cause you wont have any  money to go or do anything else...

..guess you could clean it out real good....gotta keep those cyclones cleaned out.....but its all about freedom of choice...what you think is all that matters..

..and this forum has some great people with alot of knowledge to share.....ive learned alot.

This message was modified Jul 8, 2009 by retardturtle1
mole

Reply #40   Jul 8, 2009 7:57 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
suckers you say?..you must be refering to  the $250vac...that sells for $800....or the canisters.....or the handheld...

..ive learned alot.

Dyson took advantage of the AMERICAN publics buying habits, The old it must be better than the rest because its so much more money,Got to admit DYSON knows how to woo the public ,I bet he pays his advertising agencys more than the engineers that actually bring this junk to the market place,

So how does it feel to have an $800.00 piece of artwork that nobody wants to service [dont blame the indys they warned you] But NOOOOOOOOOOO you got suckered by Sir James and the advertising.

Maybe TURTLE is not the only one that has learned a lot yet.........................

regards

MOLE
Venson

Reply #41   Jul 8, 2009 10:08 pm
mole wrote:
Dyson took advantage of the AMERICAN publics buying habits, The old it must be better than the rest because its so . . .

regards<BR><BR>MOLE

Hiya MOLE,

In the recent past and up to the present the American public's buying habits haven't been about buying but charging things to credit cards. Those days are over for a lot of us -- especially if the unemployment stats of 9.5 percent haven't changed from the other day.

Yes, it used to be fun to splurge on this or that little piece of exotica when you knew the first of the month only required to lay a minimum payment against what you brought home from the store, good, bad or indifferent. These days if privileged with credit and still employed, a large part of the populous are keeping credit cards on the back burner moreso for use in emergencies than serendipitous spending.

I am sure that there are those among us who as yet don't have to worry much about altering their spending trends in regard to frivolous luxury items but there's not enough of them, I feel, to make Dyson's venture with $200 hand-vacuums pay off. A new full-size upright (already done) or a full-size canister (already done as well) that would allow for a more practical explanation of purchase would be more the ticket and more the better investment.

These new doo-dads are probably more of interest to unmarried, childless persons like myself with not much to do with their time or money -- and there aren't that many of us. The rest of the world is thinking on how to find money to cover the kid's braces.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #42   Jul 9, 2009 6:23 am
Bucks03, Turtle1, MOLE, Venson et al here:

The latest DC30 and 31 epitomize James' philosophy for vacuum products and sales.  James thought [correctly for awhile] that MANY of the big box store shoppers would gladly pay higher and higher prices for vacuums under the slick marketing veil of innovation.  Regardless of the actual performance of the vacuum products [which for dyson in the USA has always been fair to middlin at best].  James was right for a little while.  People were lulled into the false belief that the higher and higher  prices automatically meant better performance.  Wrong!  Independent vacuum store owners and operators never bought into the hype.  MOLE and turtle1 knew the truth.  Big box retail stores did not.  Why?  What do they know from vacuums?  Besides, they enjoyed riding the dyson gravy train.  That's changed.  With time, dyson buyers learned otherwise.  High prices, hype, hawking, and average performance at best.  James/dyson orchestrated an excellent ponzi scheme for vacuum buyers.  Whether intention or not.  Dyson tried the approach with less success for hand dryers and washers too.  Works well for vacuums [$500 plus just the right price that credit card buyers will spring for without concern] when times are very good, as Venson cogently says.  When economic times tank, especially as they have globally over the last 18-24 months and still the scheme falls apart.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #43   Jul 9, 2009 4:17 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Bucks03, Turtle1, MOLE, Venson et al here:

The latest DC30 and 31 epitomize James' philosophy for vacuum products and sales.  James thought [correctly for awhile] that MANY of the big box store shoppers would gladly pay higher and higher prices for vacuums under the slick marketing veil of innovation.  Regardless of the actual performance of the vacuum products [which for dyson in the USA has always been fair to middlin at best].  James was right for a little while.  People were lulled into the false belief that the higher and higher  prices automatically meant better performance.  Wrong!  Independent vacuum store owners and operators never bought into the hype.  MOLE and turtle1 knew the truth.  Big box retail stores did not.  Why?  What do they know from vacuums?  Besides, they enjoyed riding the dyson gravy train.  That's changed.  With time, dyson buyers learned otherwise.  High prices, hype, hawking, and average performance at best.  James/dyson orchestrated an excellent ponzi scheme for vacuum buyers.  Whether intention or not.  Dyson tried the approach with less success for hand dryers and washers too.  Works well for vacuums [$500 plus just the right price that credit card buyers will spring for without concern] when times are very good, as Venson cogently says.  When economic times tank, especially as they have globally over the last 18-24 months and still the scheme falls apart.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

AMEN......to that.        so i wonder when and at what point does dyson bring in  TONY ROBBINS...

to convince or make his SUPPORTERS  [ actual dyson buyers ]  believe that  the  TITANIC  really isnt sinking.....that its all in their head.

HARDSELL

Reply #44   Jul 9, 2009 5:30 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

AMEN......to that.        so i wonder when and at what point does dyson bring in  TONY ROBBINS...

to convince or make his SUPPORTERS  [ actual dyson buyers ]  believe that  the  TITANIC  really isnt sinking.....that its all in their head.

No wonder you fall for all the hype about Hoovers, Oreck and others.  The Titantic isn't sinking.   It already rests on the bottom with the likes of Hoover and Oreck.  Like Carmine.  You need to get up to date.  Yesterday is gone.

CarmineD

Reply #45   Jul 9, 2009 6:28 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
No wonder you fall for all the hype about Hoovers, Oreck and others.  The Titantic isn't sinking.   It already rests on the bottom with the likes of Hoover and Oreck.  Like Carmine.  You need to get up to date.  Yesterday is gone.

Hello HS:

Back at you, sir.  You're the one living in the past.  When dyson products had no track record for performance and dyson shills flooded the forums with hype.  Clever dyson strategy and slickied many unsuspecting vacuum buyers into buying dysons at outrageously high prices.  Those days are over.  Long gone now.  Dyson has a track record and it can't compete on performance with HOOVER and ORECK brands.  Your fave brand is fading fast.  Sinking fast is another way to put it. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Jul 9, 2009 7:00 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

Hello 'turtle1'

Excellent question.  Three things have to happen to jump start dyson sales in 2009 and 2010 enough to weather the current economic tsunami and keep the dyson brand afloat in the USA, its major market. 

1. One or more of the new dyson vacuum products have to land top spots in Consumer Reports rankings and ratings soon. 
  2. Dyson has to discontinue problematic models and big box retailers have to deeply discount these models to get them off the shelves and out of the warehouses:  Models like DC07, DC14, DC15, DC16, DC17, DC18, DC20, DC21 and DC24.  They have to be gone. 
  3. Dyson has to discount  and/or provide incentives on its latest models like the DC22, 23, 27, 28, 30 and 31 to make them competitive price wise with the big box store brand vacuum prices.  If not, dyson sales will continue to be non-existent except for the discontinued models that will be sold way below MSRP, and have already been counted in dyson sales years ago.

Does James have the wherewithal, time and business skills to do these 3 things?  Time will tell and the clock is ticking. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #47   Jul 9, 2009 8:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

Back at you, sir.  You're the one living in the past.  When dyson products had no track record for performance and dyson shills flooded the forums with hype.  Clever dyson strategy and slickied many unsuspecting vacuum buyers into buying dysons at outrageously high prices.  Those days are over.  Long gone now.  Dyson has a track record and it can't compete on performance with HOOVER and ORECK brands.  Your fave brand is fading fast.  Sinking fast is another way to put it. 

Carmine D.

First I had to tell you that the Bismark was sunk.  Now I remind you the Titantic has sunk.  Once again Hoover USA was sunk a couple years back.  You and retard are way behind.
HARDSELL

Reply #48   Jul 9, 2009 8:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1'

Excellent question.  Three things have to happen to jump start dyson sales in 2009 and 2010 enough to weather the current economic tsunami and keep the dyson brand afloat in the USA, its major market. 

1. One or more of the new dyson vacuum products have to land top spots in Consumer Reports rankings and ratings soon. 
  2. Dyson has to discontinue problematic models and big box retailers have to deeply discount these models to get them off the shelves and out of the warehouses:  Models like DC07, DC14, DC15, DC16, DC17, DC18, DC20, DC21 and DC24.  They have to be gone. 
  3. Dyson has to discount  and/or provide incentives on its latest models like the DC22, 23, 27, 28, 30 and 31 to make them competitive price wise with the big box store brand vacuum prices.  If not, dyson sales will continue to be non-existent except for the discontinued models that will be sold way below MSRP, and have already been counted in dyson sales years ago.

Does James have the wherewithal, time and business skills to do these 3 things?  Time will tell and the clock is ticking. 

Carmine D.

You said the same thing prior to Dyson sinking Hoover.  Hoover USA is dead.  You have told the world for 4 or 5 years that Dyson is doomed.  Maybe if you preach doom long enough it will happen.  In the meantime I have proven you wrong numerous times.
Replies: 39 - 48 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42