Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 149 - 158 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #149   Aug 6, 2009 3:30 am
Hello turtle1:

The same non-sensical dyson arguments were made about the DC16, they would sell despite the $200 price tag and 5 minute charge.  I didn't see much real life evidence of this.  In fact quite the opposite.  Most retailers ended up gifting them away to get rid of them, including James/dyson.  What makes James/dyson think the DC30/31 is any different, especially with the worsening economics and better less expensive competition.  P.T. Barnum had a word for people who act according to DIB's beliefs. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #150   Aug 6, 2009 3:35 am
For the dyosn non-believers, the appliance manager at the largest BEST BUY retailer of dysons on the east coast, told me dyson's DC16 were returned more quickly and in greater numbers than any other vacuum it ever sold, save the DC11.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #151   Aug 6, 2009 9:02 am
Here is the Dirt Devil/Royal hand cleaner that sells for $39.  Paper bag conversion kit another $10-$15 if preferred.  20 foot cord.  Revolving brush.  Includes on board tools.  DD boasts over 30 MILLION sold and counting.

Excellent for carpeted steps, autos, quick pick ups, you name it.  4 amps.  about 5 pounds.  This is the reincarnated original Dirt Devil hand held that goes back over 50 years and that all the others still copy. 

Excellent for gift giving.

Carmine D.

m08230x 
  m08230x
This message was modified Aug 6, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #152   Aug 6, 2009 9:51 am
Hi Carmine,

You're right. This little hand vacuum is ageless. The design is unique in that Royal was able to center the bag at the back of the machine. Competitors like GE, Westinghouse and Hamilton Beach had their bags set off to the right side. Though the direct-air Hoover Pixie used the same idea it did not have a revolving brush.

These were great to have in the days before mini-nozzles and turbo-tools. Many people used them not only for furniture but to clean stair carpeting as opposed to taking on the job with their full-size vacuums.

And here it is today -- still simple, practical and still nicely priced. Remarkable.

Best,

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #153   Aug 6, 2009 2:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here is the Dirt Devil/Royal hand cleaner that sells for $39.  Paper bag conversion kit another $10-$15 if preferred.  20 foot cord.  Revolving brush.  Includes on board tools.  DD boasts over 30 MILLION sold and counting.

Excellent for carpeted steps, autos, quick pick ups, you name it.  4 amps.  about 5 pounds.  This is the reincarnated original Dirt Devil hand held that goes back over 50 years and that all the others still copy. 

Excellent for gift giving.

Carmine D.

m08230x 
  m08230x
HI CARMINE

So true....small powerhouse......durable as heck and not really loud...the only time we see these is for a belt install....great gift idea....way under $200 at that ,anyone can afford one or gift one.
This message was modified Aug 6, 2009 by retardturtle1
retardturtle1

Reply #154   Aug 6, 2009 7:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:
For the dyosn non-believers, the appliance manager at the largest BEST BUY retailer of dysons on the east coast, told me dyson's DC16 were returned more quickly and in greater numbers than any other vacuum it ever sold, save the DC11.

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

i just came from big lots....saw some of the dc-16 hand vacs.......$80.  and the shelf was packed with them.  havent held one in a while. forgot how small they are.

wasnt charged so no try outs.

CarmineD

Reply #155   Aug 7, 2009 6:59 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

i just came from big lots....saw some of the dc-16 hand vacs.......$80.  and the shelf was packed with them.  havent held one in a while. forgot how small they are.

wasnt charged so no try outs.

Hello 'turtle1'

Probably a more appropriate price [$80] for this dyson handheld.  Throw in the $60 attachments free with the purchase and they might even sell.

The past price and performance history of the Royal/Dirt Devil handcleaners [at least here in the USA] programs/shocks hand vacuum consumers when they see the prices of dyson's DC16/30/31.  Whoa!  $300 not counting $60 for attachments.  You gotta be kidding.  The mindset among buyers is:  What makes this worth so much??????  Will they buy into the dyson digital motor spin?  I, as a retired vacuum industry professional who saw first hand the makes/models that Venson spoke about, don't and won't.  I can't expect them too and/or make them think I do to justify the outrageous price/sales.  Knowing full well that I sold Royal/Dirt Devil [metal in the early version] handcleaners for over 40 years, by request only, and believe them worth the price for performance by leaps and bounds over dyson's latest and greatest. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 7, 2009 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #156   Aug 7, 2009 3:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1'

Probably a more appropriate price [$80] for this dyson handheld.  Throw in the $60 attachments free with the purchase and they might even sell.

The past price and performance history of the Royal/Dirt Devil handcleaners [at least here in the USA] programs/shocks hand vacuum consumers when they see the prices of dyson's DC16/30/31.  Whoa!  $300 not counting $60 for attachments.  You gotta be kidding.  The mindset among buyers is:  What makes this worth so much??????  Will they buy into the dyson digital motor spin?  I, as a retired vacuum industry professional who saw first hand the makes/models that Venson spoke about, don't and won't.  I can't expect them too and/or make them think I do to justify the outrageous price/sales.  Knowing full well that I sold Royal/Dirt Devil [metal in the early version] handcleaners for over 40 years, by request only, and believe them worth the price for performance by leaps and bounds over dyson's latest and greatest. 

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

but still...$80 .   for a few minutes at best. ...not worth it.  same perf as the rest but at higher cost....not going to find power and perf in a corless vac....not even the ddm version is worth it.... corded is where its at....even at $20-40 youll find a handheld that will outperform the ddm version....and run till your done cleaning....and last as long.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #157   Aug 7, 2009 9:02 pm

By the time this old tired dog, the DD is plugged in and converted to fit a nozzle the DC16's vacuumed the same job and is back in its charging base.  Pistol grip supersedes top mounted grips, the DC16 can be pointed/maneuvered into more places than any top grip, this is why pistol grips have been standard in the tool industry since Black and Decker invented the pistol grip drill.  And for the penny pinchers...  why spend hard earned pennies on this dog when the already paid for upright w/ hose/wand or canister that's sitting unused and in the closet?  And it can do the job better (out perform) the DD and at a zero [extra] cost...  more pennies saved.

Hey Carmine, why not print these two pictures and walk up and down the floors at Best Buy and the canvas the parking lots of Cosco's and ask folks what’s the quickest way to do a “quick clean-up”?

DIB 

P.S.  Did DD ever fix the massive air leak where the door covers the brushroll?
This message was modified Aug 8, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #158   Aug 8, 2009 6:49 am
DIB:

Let me repeat this for you again v-e-r-y   s-l-o-w-l-y  so you can get it once and for all.  This is the second time in the last few days I posted this and probably have done so a dozen times but as usual you just don't get it. 

The appliance manager at the BEST BUY store that sells more dysons on the east coast than any other retailer told me in front of the store manager that dyson's DC16 was the quickest and most returned vacuum product its ever sold except for the DC11.  BEST BUY stores and its customers have made up their mind already about your product.  It gets the worse rating of all the hand helds sold at BEST BUY stores.  BTW, the Black & Decker pivot vacuum, by James/dyson's own admission is the product that the DC30/31 are chasing, gets 5 stars.

Carmine D.

Dyson - Root 6 Animal Bagless Cordless Hand Vac - Iron/Bronze

Model: 00133 | SKU: 8768238

Customer Reviews: 2.4 out of 5 stars 2.4 Read reviews (9)

Replies: 149 - 158 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42