Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Freedom 3500 and XL2000RHB

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
jkbmmv

Freedom 3500 and XL2000RHB
Original Message   Oct 11, 2008 2:02 pm
Hello all!

As you can tell I am new to the forum.. I came across the site while doing a search for an Oreck XL to a Simplicity freedom comparison (oddly it took me to the Oreck/Dyson flame posts from January). I have worked in the hotel industry for a while, and have been around the Orecks and other light-weight hoovers/sanitaires. I have always been a gadget guy, and vacuums are gadgets for the home. Right now, I have a Simplicity 6 series, a Filter Queen princess with power head and a Kirby G3. I plan on getting another Simplicity or Riccar for my self, and am trying to figure out something for my mother.

The other day she told me that she was having a hard time lifting the Simplicty. She has been having back problems for a while now, but this year they managed to get worse. She also uses the Kirby, but after I brought her the Simplicity, she doesn't haul it up a flight of stairs any more. The simplicity was the upstairs vacuum and the Kirby remains the high traffic cleaner for the lower level. I got to thinking, and I realized that the hotel I am at was wanting to get rid of their Oreck XL2000RHB. The housekeepers don't like it because it is loud, and I agree, it is a very noisy machine. I disassembled it, and found that someone decided to clean up the plaster/paint when the lobby was remodeled... I cleaned everything out and brought it home to my mom. I got to looking, and was hoping I can get some pointers to steer her in the right direction. As of right now, We are going to get an Oreck, either the commercial one from the hotel or a _NEW_ one from a home center if I can indeed find one for 150 bucks.

What I am wanting to know is are the non commercial ones quieter? Also, do they make a stiffer brush roll for the Oreck? I called one of the Oreck Showrooms and they said they have a basic XL2000 stick handle for 199... I am wondering if that would be a better choice than my commercial one. The only issue is the 'D' or helping hand handle is something I am _not_ willing to compromise on. Does anyone have any idea how Oreck deadens the sound? I am wondering if I could stick a sheet of dynomat in the housing to quite this thing down. My 6 series sounds like a whisper compared to this Red Monster.

Now, down the road (before the end of the year) I am going to buy a Simplicity freedom. I am thinking the 3500, non commercial version. I have always liked commercial vacs because of the longer cords, but I take a hit in the warranty. I also know that the commercial has more aluminum and the consumer has more steel.. Is the commercial really that much lighter? What do you guys think? I know the Simplicity has a stronger motor and stiffer bristles, but does it do any better on carpets, and how does it handle throw rugs? The simplicity will be mom's house warming gift when she moves again. The Oreck will stay with me, I have a few places I can use it...

Oh, and the other simplicity that I am thinking of buying my self is the Synergy. I fell in love with it when I first saw it on the internet, and the dealer I dealt with ordered one just for me to demo in the store, but I decided to go with the cheaper 6 series at that time. He said he was glad he ordered it because he hadn't had any and wanted to play with it. He sold that one and had three ordered for a few other customers before we left the store that day.

Joshua
Replies: 1 - 10 of 39NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Freedom 3500 and XL2000RHB
Reply #1   Oct 11, 2008 4:19 pm
Hi jkbmmv,

If it's any help, I took a quick look at CR online which rated the very similar Riccar Supralite RSL3 and listed the Freedom 3500 as comparable.  The cleaner got high marks for carpet cleaning ability from CR and user reviews (total of three) were all highly favorable.  It also ranked as excellent regarding emissions.  However, user opinion concurred with CR's rating of "fair" regarding its noise level.  Though it was not scored in the ratings, CR provided user reviews for the Freedom 3500 and four of four sumbitted were very happy campers.  Users deemed Riccar/Simplicity lightweights to have more suction than Oreck.

The Simplicity Freedom 3600, next model up, does have two speeds which might help reduce the noise issue.  If there's not a lot of traffic in her home, your mom probably needn't worry about running the machine at top power during every use anyway. One off these and a inexpensive lightweight canister for above the floor tasks might be quite suitable for her.

The only thing I don't like is the price.  The Riccar costs about $350 -- a little expensive I feel.  Maybe yo can wheel and deal a better price at a local vac shop or find one on eBay from a legitimate vendor.

The two Oreck models rated as one "good" and the other "fair" regarding noise.  That said, I have yet to hear of any of the lightweight uprights being super quiet but the issue of sound can often be subjective.  What I find tolerable may or may not be pleasing to you.  I strongly suggest going to see -- and hear -- the machines you're interested in. 

Good luck, 

Venson

jkbmmv

Reply #2   Oct 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Hrm this forum's options seem to be a bit bulk and hard to use for a newbie...

Anywho, Venson, I appreciate the reply and the research. I am not sure what my mother is planning on doing for above floor cleaning. She has never been one to grab a vacuum, attach the hose, and then go up and down the walls. Instead, she is more of a "Bring me the ladder, a bucket and some bleach!" type person. The kind that wipes and soaks anything and everything. She is all over the place, climbing on things just to clean stuff. Everything that she touches has her 'sparkle' on it. Obsessive compulsive, maybe, but will she change, probably not. That is why I am so shocked with her decision to get a light vacuum cleaner. I understand, and oddly enough, I enjoy the fact that the Oreck is a bit taller than my 6. But regardless of weight, I feel that my 6 is easier to push while running, and is a lot quieter.

I did not realize the other options available for the freedom. I was simply going off of the two I was presented with; the 3500 and the 3500 commercial. I think the two speed motor would be a better choice, just in case the suction is a bit much for some of the throw rugs she uses. For the time being, we are living in a two upper level and a basement duplex. I know she wants to move into a single level home with or with-out a basement. She will still have her Kirby, and the chosen Simplicity will be there awaiting her arrival. The Oreck will stay with me, mainly for the fact that I know she isn’t going to vacuum every day, and I just feel the Oreck won’t be a long term solution for her. Besides, I like Simplicity’s warranties; the Oreck has none.

Oddly enough, today, I went in to a local shop and got two belts for the Oreck. The gentleman also sold Riccar vacuums. I asked him what he thought would be the better option, and right off the bat, he said the Riccar. The only problem with that is he said the Simplicity’s are not a viable option, because they are not of the great quality the Riccar is. He was explaining a parent company that has tiered levels et cetera. I understand the different name plates, but regardless of that fact, Riccar, Simplicity and Carpet Pro vacuums are all from the same design. Different models have different build qualities and material qualities. I get it, but I really do not understand how someone selling one brand can “bash” the quality of a sister brand. I guess when I go into these independent dealers I am expecting to get an un-biased opinion from them. Of the few I have dealt with in the local Kansas City metro, Mar-Beck is the only one that has really laid things out for me, and let me decide what I thought was best for me. I think it is because they sell anything and everything, new Tacony co. products and used well-known names. They even have a Dyson or two.

I guess my main concern with the Oreck is if I am going to use it, I want it to meet or exceed my expectations. All of the hype I see/hear about Oreck makes me think it is this miracle vacuum that will do anything except wash dishes. Using one isn’t giving me that impression, but it also isn’t giving me a bad impression. For 100 dollars, I feel it is a good purchase for something that will be used as a companion for my 6 or the Synergy/Radiance when I decide to make that purchase. Now, I realize that that statement may seem a bit selfish, considering that this was a purchase for my mother, but I feel it is justified by the fact that I am purchasing her a new Freedom!

On a side note, anyone that has a home-use Oreck and a commercial-use Oreck (preferably XL2000s) want to do a side-by-side run and see which is louder then inspect the housing to see if there are any differences, weather it is thicker plastic, or some form of a deadening material want to post results, I would greatly appreciate that.The

This message was modified Oct 11, 2008 by jkbmmv

Joshua
jkbmmv

Reply #3   Oct 11, 2008 5:56 pm
One thing I did forget to mention in that lengthy post of mine was that I had found an old Windsor Sensor XP-12 laying behind a dryer that might accompany the Oreck when I purchase it. Ever since I was a kid, I have always enjoyed taking things apart and tinkering with things. My mom hated her Kirby accessory bin because I would always get into it and take off with her brushes and foam shooter and other random things I would find in it. If all goes as planned, I will have more vacuums than rooms.
This message was modified Oct 11, 2008 by jkbmmv

Joshua
CarmineD

Reply #4   Oct 12, 2008 8:31 am
Hello Venson:

On the topic of Consumer Reports and its latest ratings of the ORECK brand and models.  The ORECK XL 21 Titanium has a revamped ORECK motor which is stronger while more energy efficient [read amperage] than the other ORECK upright motors.  Hence, the better rating for noise IMHO.  It is the only model with the latest and greatest motor.

BTW, the Titanium comes with a 21 year warranty on everything and a $735 price tag.  Some have pointed out that belts are not covered under warranty.  While technically true, the model comes with 10 free annual services which include among other things replacing the belt and bag and bulb.  If a customer goes every 2 years for the vacuum services, will ORECK deny the free services over the 21 years?  Probably not, but a possibility. 

I'm told by ORECK insiders that the new ORECK Titanium motors will easily last 20 years.  If a motor goes, it will be after 10 years and they should be few and far between.  Time will tell.  In 20 years, I'll come back here and evaluate the motor results.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 12, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #5   Oct 12, 2008 11:01 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

On the topic of Consumer Reports and its latest ratings of the ORECK brand and models.  The ORECK XL 21 Titanium has a revamped ORECK motor which is stronger while more energy efficient [read amperage] than the other ORECK upright motors.  Hence, the better rating for noise IMHO.  It is the only model with the latest and greatest motor.

BTW, the Titanium comes with a 21 year warranty on everything and a $735 price tag.  Some have pointed out that belts are not covered under warranty.  While technically true, the model comes with 10 free annual services which include among other things replacing the belt and bag and bulb.  If a customer goes every 2 years for the vacuum services, will ORECK deny the free services over the 21 years?  Probably not, but a possibility. 

I'm told by ORECK insiders that the new ORECK Titanium motors will easily last 20 years.  If a motor goes, it will be after 10 years and they should be few and far between.  Time will tell.  In 20 years, I'll come back here and evaluate the motor results.

Carmine D.

If you haven't already, check out the new Oreck website.  New look and new models.  It looks like the Titanium and it's 25 year warranty have been removed from the line (at least as far as I can see). While the 10 year warranty still exists it's not just belts that are not covered.  Brushrolls are only one year and the usual wear items like carbon brushes, bulbs, edge brushes etc are not covered at all.  Just because the warranty is long does not mean you won't be paying for repairs during the "free" service.

Dusty
This message was modified Oct 12, 2008 by dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #6   Oct 12, 2008 12:25 pm
dusty wrote:
If you haven't already, check out the new Oreck website.  New look and new models.  It looks like the Titanium and it's 25 year warranty have been removed from the line (at least as far as I can see). While the 10 year warranty still exists it's not just belts that are not covered.  Brushrolls are only one year and the usual wear items like carbon brushes, bulbs, edge brushes etc are not covered at all.  Just because the warranty is long does not mean you won't be paying for repairs during the "free" service.

Dusty

$735 for a vacuum that should sell for $60.  10 free tune ups ( bag and belt) no need for 10 bulbs.  That is approximately $67.50 per year foe maintenance.  Factor in the gas for two trips to Oreck (take and return vacuum).  My bet is that if used regularly you will need a half dozen belts annually.  Also consider that they have inferior cleaning ability.  What is to like except light weight?

Don't forget you also have to have the accessory vac which requires bags.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Oct 12, 2008 12:58 pm
dusty wrote:

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

I saw the ads with Dave and the new ORECK-s recently.  Will look at the new Web Site.  Thanks for the info. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Titanium is no longer offered.  I suspect US economics is at work.  With one thing after another tanking day after day and a crisis of confidence by Americans in the government and its leaders, $735 vacuums are A HARDSELL!

However, I have to think, until I know for sure otherwise, that the new more powerful and energy efficient ORECK motor is still part of the line up in one or more of the products.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #8   Oct 12, 2008 2:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

I saw the ads with Dave and the new ORECK-s recently.  Will look at the new Web Site.  Thanks for the info. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Titanium is no longer offered.  I suspect US economics is at work.  With one thing after another tanking day after day and a crisis of confidence by Americans in the government and its leaders, $735 vacuums are A HARDSELL!

However, I have to think, until I know for sure otherwise, that the new more powerful and energy efficient ORECK motor is still part of the line up in one or more of the products.

Carmine D. 

There is also a lack of confidence by Americans who learn the hard way that $735 for an Oreck is a RIP OFF by an AMERICAN vacuum manufacturer.
Venson

Reply #9   Oct 12, 2008 2:33 pm
Hi,

The new top-of-the-line is the Platinum which is being advertised in my area for the last few weeks. 

http://www.tryoreck.com/

http://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-upright/index.cfm

Venson

This message was modified Oct 12, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #10   Oct 12, 2008 5:02 pm
Hello Venson:

I suspect the Platinum has the same motor as the Titanium did.  But I will verify.  I noticed the price has increased to $799 for the MSRP.  On a comforting note, with the ORECK warranty now set at 10 years [still the highest in the industry for vacuums] I won't need to come back here in 20 years to report on the result of the Titanium's motor longevity!  

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 39NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42