Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > I finally bought a new lightweight

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

I finally bought a new lightweight
Original Message   Feb 19, 2008 5:20 pm
After much discussion and pondering and the infamous Oreck XL21 thread.  I finally bought a lightweight vacuum for my home.  I set out this weekend with all intentions of buying an Oreck.  On Saturday the man at the Oreck Clean Home Center was very plesant, he let me handle and try everything on display. He came off the price and re-arranged the packages for me as well as offered factory refurbished and reconditioned trades to help meet my budget.

I left the Oreck store positive I was coming back, but I wanted to take a look a the Simplicity Freedom before I made the final decision.  I went to the Sewing Center/Vacuum shop we have done business with all my life; and which my mother has done business with for over 60 years.  Unfortunately the salesman must have been short on commission and long on inventory this month as he was only interested in my wallet and not my needs.

I began by telling him what I was interested in, an Oreck, or Freedom lightweight vacuum for quick clean ups and low pile carpet in the basement and kitchen. I further explained that I had a good high power vacuum I was happy with for normal cleaning and this would be a complement not a replacement.

He immediately started to run down my main machine (BAD FIRST MOVE--we are attached to each other).  So with this move he began showing me the me the Simplicity Synergy Tandem Air (Weighing in at approximately 22 lbs and a cost of $1,479 plus trade). He poured sand on the floor, he pulled water up a column from a colored fish bowl, he hooked up hoses to hose with a shop vac.  He did everything but show me the Freedom.

When he finally got finished with dog and pony show he explained how unhappy I would be with the Freedom because I was used to power and for approximately the same amount of the Freedom he could sell me the Synergy's little brother which isn't tandem air but still is more powerful than a tornado in an outhouse.

I stood firm that I came in looking for the Freedom, but now he pretty much talked me out of anything.  This is when he shot me the wonderful low price for the Freedom of $579, which with my loyalty discount he would drop to $479 and take another $50 off with the coupon in the paper today so now it's $429 and would give me a years supply of bags to boot. Well with that wonderful deal how did I walk away you ask?  By slipping on my coat, zipping my daughter's coat and walking to the car.

I did think it over and decided that the Oreck was high priced, and he did offer me a factory refurb for $299 and still had a decent warranty.  My decision was an Oreck Ultra.  Monday I was off to the Oreck store, but before I went I decided to stop by the Vacuum shop one of the church members just opened on the west side.  I felt I owed it to him to stop in and even if I bought the Oreck from him I was supporting a fellow Catholic.  It just so happened when I walked in I found he sold higher end vacuums.  Melie, Sebo, Lindenhaus were all lined up in the window.  I found he also sold the Riccar line.  I told him what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it.  He listened to me and brought out a Riccar RSL4. There was no pressure, no comparing to other machines, no running anything down or trying to move me up in price. I took it home for $299, a year's worth of bags and he carried it to the car for me.  I will do a review of the vac itself in the review section.  

I will say that the buying experience at the Oreck Clean Home Center and the Independent vac shop was very pleasant.  If everyone could experience this kind of service, no one would buy at Wal-Mart again.  It is so refreshing to see this kind of service still exists. The experience at the Sewing Center/Vac Shop ws worse than a four hour home demo from the Filter Queen gestopo.  I doubt I will be doing business there in the future.

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by Just
Replies: 16 - 25 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Just

Re: I finally bought a new lightweight
Reply #16   Feb 26, 2008 2:01 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
 Do you lug the monster up and down stairs when a thorough cleaning is in order.

What brand is the monster?  Sounds like a Kirby.

Yes I did lug it up and down several times daily.   Now the Kirby lives on the main floor, whilist the Supralite makes the journey up and down stairs.  I figured the lower and uppers don't get as much tracked and ground in dirt as the main floor thus will let the Kirby do the main floor cleaning, while allowing the Supralite to do the touch ups.    I do vacuum everyday, sometimes several times a day as necessitated by living with an American Eskimo dog.  Most of my "dirt" is not ground in, but more like white fluffy surface hair.  This arrangement seems to be working out for me thus far, I have only had the Supralite for a week.   This is until the magic lottery fairy gives me the winning numbers I can afford to have a central vac installed.

BTW--I love Kirby always have.  It's just after a drunk driver fed me the front end of his Ford F-150 a few years ago that I don't have the stamina to do heavy lifting all the time.   I can in this instance have empathy for older adults with diminishing abilities turning to a more viable means of remaining independent with a lighter machine.  This is why I think the aging boomers will be flocking to lighter machines.

Venson

Reply #17   Feb 26, 2008 3:02 pm
Hey guys,

Might I humbly submit that not to be forgotten is -- there is no best.  What there is is what you like or what you don't like.  There are a number of friends of mine who don't wash dishes the way I do, who diidn't buy the perfect steam iron I bought, who don't vacuum the way I do or put things where I'd put them.  Shall I disown these beloved but badly dressed nitwits even though they'd be so much better off having me at least re-arrange their living rooms?

American manufacturers strive to get some of everybody's money.  This is why such a large number and type of all appliances are available at least in this country. Otherwise there's be only one brand, style and color car or washing machine to buy.  (Remember the line our grandfathers told us about buying cars in their day -- "You can have any color you want as long as it is black.")  A lot of money moves around when the everyday consumers feels he or she has a chance to buy something THEY want.

It really doesn't matter what vacuum you own, or how many, as long as you, the individual, are comfortable with it and the results produced.  Face it if there were some sort of universality as to what's best, we'd all marry the same person.  What a mess that would be.

Venson

Just

Reply #18   Feb 26, 2008 3:50 pm
Venson,

Very astute.  You are absolutely correct, and just explained American consumerism.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Feb 26, 2008 8:13 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I have to give you credit Carmine.  You can find so many ways to justify a purchase.

Really, how much can a few tools weigh?  I do not buy into aging America wanting to store tools seperately and then having to go retrieve them if needed.  No need for an upright and a canister + numerous vacuums if you have one excellent vacuum. 

I really like Dyson because it not only cleans carpet, it is excellent on bare floors.  Other uprights that I have used are practically useless on bare floors.  Their exhaust blows the dirt/dust out of the path rendering them useless.

My friend:

You forget, I bought a brand new dyson DC07 pink.  I couldn't push and pull it over my carpets without getting the gawdawful ratching noise.  Drove my Wife and dog out of their minds.  I gifted it away.  BTW, I did not like having to turn the brush roll knob on and off everytime I went from rugs to floors with the dyson.  And it was terrible on area and throw rugs.  Didn't work. 

In my review on this site, I discuss the weight of the attachments on the HOOVER Cann S1361.  If you want the answer, read it.

The only justification is that my dear Wife wanted the HOOVER cann to compliment the Oreck XL for quick cleanings. BTW, the Oreck goes from rug to floor to throw rug easily with no needed changes and adjustments to the vacuum.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 26, 2008 8:23 pm
Just wrote:
 I do vacuum everyday, sometimes several times a day as necessitated by living with an American Eskimo dog.  Most of my "dirt" is not ground in, but more like white fluffy surface hair.  This arrangement seems to be working out for me thus far, I have only had the Supralite for a week.   This is until the magic lottery fairy gives me the winning numbers I can afford to have a central vac installed.

I second that statement but have an English lab that sheds year round.  Live in the desert with lots of sand.  And my dear Wife suffers from allergies.  And I have 2 grand daughters that always visit.  Vacuuming daily and even several times a day is mandatory.  The HOOVER WT, dyson, and most other full sized vacuums with tools on board are not conducive to my daily cleaning requirements.  The Oreck is. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #21   Feb 26, 2008 8:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
My friend:

You forget, I bought a brand new dyson DC07 pink.  I couldn't push and pull it over my carpets without getting the gawdawful ratching noise.  Drove my Wife and dog out of their minds.  I gifted it away.  BTW, I did not like having to turn the brush roll knob on and off everytime I went from rugs to floors with the dyson.  And it was terrible on area and throw rugs.  Didn't work. 

In my review on this site, I discuss the weight of the attachments on the HOOVER Cann S1361.  If you want the answer, read it.

The only justification is that my dear Wife wanted the HOOVER cann to compliment the Oreck XL for quick cleanings. BTW, the Oreck goes from rug to floor to throw rug easily with no needed changes and adjustments to the vacuum.

Carmine D.

How could anyone forget that you bought a DC07?  How does the gifted party like the DC07?

I prefer the ability to turn the brush roller off and you do not.  This is personal and there is no right or wrong except that a brush that can't be stopped tends to scatter dirt on hard surfaces.  It also seems that it could damage carpet when running while sitting still, regardless of auto adjuster.

It is understandable why one would want a performing vacuum if they also used an Oreck.   I am not surprised that the Oreck needs no adjustments.  It is not powerful enough to suck up a throw rug or suck itself into the carpet.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 27, 2008 7:08 am
HARDSELL wrote:
How could anyone forget that you bought a DC07?  How does the gifted party like the DC07?

Since you asked my friend here is your answer:

Rewind: I gifted to my daughter and son-in-law in September 2006.  Why?  It worked well on their carpets.  Low carpet.  Smooth pile.  They loved it. 

Fast forward: In June 2007, daughter and SIL buy a new [foreclosed] house [3000 sq. feet] due to expanding family.  New carpets.  Almost identical to those in my house.  Result: Dyson does not work, just like it didn't on mine.  It's in a spare unused bedroom gathering dust.  Consolation:  My oldest grand daughter loves the pink color.

I gifted an Oreck too.  Why? My daughter is pregnant.  She loves it.  Uses it on the main level until I install a central vacuum system. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Feb 27, 2008 7:28 am
HARDSELL wrote:

I prefer the ability to turn the brush roller off and you do not.  This is personal and there is no right or wrong except that a brush that can't be stopped tends to scatter dirt on hard surfaces.  It also seems that it could damage carpet when running while sitting still, regardless of auto adjuster.

It is understandable why one would want a performing vacuum if they also used an Oreck.   I am not surprised that the Oreck needs no adjustments.  It is not powerful enough to suck up a throw rug or suck itself into the carpet.

My Friend:

Speaking for Oreck and my own personal use only, I can tell you you're wrong.  Oreck is an excellent floor cleaner and does not scatter anything.  It picks it up on the first pass.  75 percent of my home is ceramic tile.  Oreck works like a charm.  Throw rugs the same.  I have berber, smooth and plush.  Kitchen, bathroom, foyers.  The Oreck brings up the pile and makes them look like new.  And my bedroom carpets are wool Mohawk medium pile loop.  Oreck almost goes by itself.  Same carpets dyson couldn't budge on.  If I raise up the handle on these carpets, there is no problem with the Oreck.  The belt lasted 9 months.  The Oreck is a classic [no pun intended].  Has over 45 years of proven time tested experience.  You loose sight of that, ignore it, and overlook it.  Another reason you are biased.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #24   Mar 20, 2008 11:53 am
I just wanted to update on my Riccar experience. 

I just changed the bag for the first time.  Usually I fill bags more quickly, but remember this is an additional vac.   Here is an observation I have made, which someone can correct me if I am wrong, as it is only my observation.  The blue paper bags don't seem to breath as well as the white fabric (HEPA) bag that came with it. I am basing this on the fact that when I use the Vac with the HEPA bag the bag was yeilding and and could be depressed quite easily.  With the blue paper bag, though supposed to be as good at filtering, the bag is almost hard ridged when the machine is running.    You can still feel air flowing from the bag, but the paper is more taunt.  Thus my deduction the paper bag is not breathing as well as the fabric type bag.  I am sure there is a scientific means to measure this, but I used my hand.

In any case I still like the little Riccar, and it is getting lots of use.  I have found myself reaching for the Supralite more and more.  The fast, agressive brush roll really lifts and grooms the carpet. 

HARDSELL

Reply #25   Mar 20, 2008 9:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
My Friend:

Speaking for Oreck and my own personal use only, I can tell you you're wrong.  Oreck is an excellent floor cleaner and does not scatter anything.  It picks it up on the first pass.  75 percent of my home is ceramic tile.  Oreck works like a charm.  Throw rugs the same.  I have berber, smooth and plush.  Kitchen, bathroom, foyers.  The Oreck brings up the pile and makes them look like new.  And my bedroom carpets are wool Mohawk medium pile loop.  Oreck almost goes by itself.  Same carpets dyson couldn't budge on.  If I raise up the handle on these carpets, there is no problem with the Oreck.  The belt lasted 9 months.  The Oreck is a classic [no pun intended].  Has over 45 years of proven time tested experience.  You loose sight of that, ignore it, and overlook it.  Another reason you are biased.

Carmine D.

No wonder the Oreck goes by itself.  No suction!!!!  I would not think that a vetern would be fooled by the raised pile,  I reported years ago that the Oreck does an excellent job of grooming carpet.  It just fails to deep clean.  BTW, there are carpet rakes that make it look beautful.  Like the Oreck they make carpet look great without the deep cleaning.  They also do not cost over $700.

GM and Ford have more years experience than Lexus.  Which is better?  If knowing what is best is biased then you are correct about me.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2008 by HARDSELL
Replies: 16 - 25 of 65Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42