Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 169 - 178 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #169   Aug 8, 2009 8:29 pm
Now DIB let's really get down and dirty.  Suppose your 5 year old daughter drops the flower pot down 13 carpeted steps and she wants to clean it up by her lonesome.  What product would be the best for her to use?

Carmine D.

PS:  Real life situation.  My grand daughter did this while her mother was washing the clothes.  She quickly went and got the DD hand cleaner to do the job.  The DD was sitting in the closet next to an unused dyson DC07 pink.  My grand daughter cleaned up the mess before her mother had time to see it.  Her mother found her putting the hand cleaner away.

CarmineD

Reply #170   Aug 8, 2009 8:38 pm
DIB:

It's taken me a dozen or more posts to drive home a point to you which you obviously have not up to this point comprehended.  The answer to one moot, contrived, restricted, and very limited clean up application question that you ask about one product versus another product does not and never will in and of itself provide the best and final choice for users' vacuum purchases. 

Tell me you are starting to get this point.  So I can reduce my number of posts here for your needed reading and edification.  It's not that hard.  If a 6 year old gets it without any difficulty, certainly there's hope too for you!

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #171   Aug 9, 2009 8:01 am
CarmineD wrote:
In contrast dyson DC16 for $149 doesn't fare much better than the DD Ultra despite the $100 more.

Featured StoresStore Rating
Total Price
Abt Electronics & ApplianAbt Electronics & Applian rated 4.50 (538 reviews)538 store reviews
$149.99
AmazonAmazon rated 3.50 (1638 reviews)1638 store reviews
$149.00
J&R Music and Computer WorldJ&R Music and Computer World rated 4.50 (3998 reviews)3998 store reviews
$149.99

Same question dyson twins:  $149 versus $29?  4 stars versus 3.75 stars.  Give me your answer twins and I'll give you your signs.

Carmine D.

Carmine - I don't think this comparison is valid for your argument. Those are store ratings, not product ratings. Notice how the Amazon score / number of reviews is identical across both products?
This message was modified Aug 9, 2009 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #172   Aug 9, 2009 8:11 am
M00seUK:

I wholeheartedly agree.  These tend to be higher than product reviews.  But they are also more numerous balancing out wide fluctuations in small numbers of product review.  Such is the case with the product reviews for dyson's DC16 from BEST BUY consumers.  Of the 9 reviews most save 2 are 1 star.  The 2 for 5 stars skews the overall star rating.  Ratings whether store/product are only one factor of the purchase decision by vacuum consumers.  Not the end all and be all of the buy decisions.  The latter is my point to those who hold up star ratings and chartes as indicative of a product's performance and people's satisfaction.  They are to an extent but very limited.  As I always tell and say, tell me the star rating you want and I'll find it for you somewhere from a source who collects the information

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 9, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #173   Aug 9, 2009 9:13 am
Moose,
I noticed the same. I did not bring it to Carmine's attention because I knew that he would try to justify his error in his usual manner.
Using Carmine's logic in his response I found a 4.6 star rating for a lawn mower that I like. I know they are not the same products. However, with Carmine's logic as long as I like both brands I can use the high star rating to justify my preference for both products.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #174   Aug 9, 2009 1:59 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Let me repeat this for you again v-e-r-y   s-l-o-w-l-y  so you can get it once and for all.  This is the second time in the last few days I posted this and probably have done so a dozen times but as usual you just don't get it. 

The appliance manager at the BEST BUY store that sells more dysons on the east coast than any other retailer told me in front of the store manager that dyson's DC16 was the quickest and most returned vacuum product its ever sold except for the DC11.  BEST BUY stores and its customers have made up their mind already about your product.  It gets the worse rating of all the hand helds sold at BEST BUY stores.  BTW, the Black & Decker pivot vacuum, by James/dyson's own admission is the product that the DC30/31 are chasing, gets 5 stars.

Carmine D.

Dyson - Root 6 Animal Bagless Cordless Hand Vac - Iron/Bronze

Model: 00133 | SKU: 8768238

Customer Reviews: 2.4 out of 5 stars 2.4 Read reviews (9)

Carmine,

Type/talk slow as you want, it makes no difference to me.

What do you find most difficult about my question and why do you avoid it? - It’s a fair [consumer] question.

I’ll repeat the question...  Using the DD illustration, what would consumers find faster and easier at cleaning this door rail?
1)  Plugging the DD into an outlet and converting to fit a nozzle and if the rail is longer then it's requires two hands to get the job done OR...
2)  Snapping a nozzle into a DC16 and pulling the trigger and using only one hand regardless of the job requirements?

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
Let's see DIB:  $200-$300?  $30?  That's a hard question for you to answer?  Pretty easy!  Most, if not all except you, know the answer without having to ask the question.  For most if not all, 10 for $30 each with a rating of 2.5 beats 1 for $300 with a rating of 3.5.  Except for the people that P.T Barnum talks about who are born and every 6 minutes.  And they are waiting in the line for their signs, so dyson can target them with its new products.

Carmine D.

Carmine will not answer my elementary question (above and inside this post), so would any other bad-mouthing of Dyson products independent vacuum dealers or their groupies care to answer it?  If the question is difficult to understand let me know.

DIB
This message was modified Aug 9, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #175   Aug 9, 2009 2:58 pm
DIB:

Sorry to disappoint my good dyson friend but I prefer to leave asinine questions left for the inquirer to ponder at his own free time, will and leisure.  They are but a waste of my time.  Obviously, not surprising to me, you don't get it.  There are still a few signs left for people like you.  Hurry why they still last.  Alot like you are scarving them up.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #176   Aug 9, 2009 3:14 pm
Hello HS:

There's a sign for you too.

Using my wisdom, I would buy and use the DD handcleaner pictured here despite the consumer product ratings.  Why?  Because I don't hold these in as high esteem/regard as my own personal and professional experience and knowledge of these particular products.  First hand knowlege and experience with the product always trumps unknown consumer reviews.

I recall a poster here, Vacuumfreeeke, who spoke unkindly of Dirt Devil products for many years.  Why?  I surmise that like others he was taken in by the usual negativity regarding the particular name brand and products.  By chance, he had an opportunity to secure a 'used' Dirt Devil Broom vac from quiet a number of years ago.  These are no longer made and sold.  It turned his thinking around about DD at least for this product.  And perhaps it opened his mind to being more open about others too.

The same phenomenon works in reverse.  People like you and your twin DIB as well as dyson shills blast public Forums with how great dyson and Sir James are [worth every penny is the usual giveaway on the reviews as MOLE pointed out here].  You speak glowing lines/lies such as "you get what you pay for' to justify dyson's outrageous prices for its product mediocrity.  Some consumers, not knowing different/better, fall prey to the drivel.  They are not deserving of the same sign as you.  They are just more trusting and judge others as being honest like themselves and without ulterior motives.  Soon they learn the truth and the dysons are returned/traded/junked.  DC16 is a classic example. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #177   Aug 9, 2009 4:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Sorry to disappoint my good dyson friend but I prefer to leave asinine questions left for the inquirer to ponder at his own free time, will and leisure.  They are but a waste of my time.  Obviously, not surprising to me, you don't get it.  There are still a few signs left for people like you.  Hurry why they still last.  Alot like you are scarving them up.

Carmine D.

I'm just exposing the many not-so-bright *independent vacuum dealer con's [rock-throwing @ DC16, DC30/31] arguments.  Sorry, if you don’t appreciate light shown on this issue.  Blame yourselves.

DIB

*There are certainly good men/women in the business too.
This message was modified Aug 9, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

mole

Reply #178   Aug 9, 2009 5:08 pm
You want some insight on yourself D,I,B,

You and Sir Jimmy have an overestimated opinion of yourselves,At this point in time I have grown to believe you are not a vacuum cleaner  repairman, a vacuum historian, an industry professional, area distributor,or even
 interested in this business . You got hired as a corporate cling on by dyson luckily you now can pay off your student loan [it was a waste of time and funds anyway,[your not really good at it ]

When you give us your background in this business then just maybe i'll respond to you . Until you do you dont deserve an answer to any of your questions,Cant Dyson bury you somewhere where you cant hurt  the company anymore.Maybe in R@D desining a high performance cyclonic can opener??????????????

MOLE
Replies: 169 - 178 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42