Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New UK Hoover ranges at www.argos.co.uk

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

New UK Hoover ranges at www.argos.co.uk
Original Message   Aug 4, 2008 3:49 pm
The 'Freedom' and 'Slalom' uprights, and the 'Xarion' cylinder cleaner. All employ 'Airvolution' technology.

You'll have to wander about the Argos site yourselves, as I can't be bothered battling with the silly formatting of pictures on this forum, and the website linking didn't work either.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 116NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Re: New UK Hoover ranges at www.argos.co.uk
Reply #1   Aug 4, 2008 6:08 pm
Interesting!  I wonder what this 'Airvolution' technology is, deeper clean so it says!   The 'Freedom' Uprights looks light parts taken from the current PurePower\Dust Manager range (which has been around since the mid 90's!) and the base to the 'Slalom' Upright looks like it was taken from the Hoover Turbolite from the Late 80's\Early 90's!

The Slalom looks like it could be lite and compact!  Designs taken from the Hoover 'The One' range too!

DC18

This message was modified Aug 4, 2008 by DC18
Trilobite

Reply #2   Aug 15, 2008 8:01 am
Now on the Hoover UK website:

www.hoover.co.uk

DysonInventsBig

Reply #3   Aug 15, 2008 9:43 am

Trilobite,

Did Hoover invent a new technology or just a word - "Airvolution"?        DIB

M00seUK

Reply #4   Aug 15, 2008 9:53 am
I like the styling, it's a lot more original than other bagless copies.
Venson

Reply #5   Aug 15, 2008 2:56 pm
Hi Trilobite,

Thanks for the heads-up.  I like the styling too.  My main concern is that I can't access anything other than spec sheets for the Xarion, Freedom and Slalom and it is hard to determine if these have pleated filters inside the bin or rely on actual cylonics to initially separaet dirt from the air stream.

Per the specs the Slalom is 8.37 (around 17 pounds) kilos out of the box.  The Freedom (8.98 kilos) is close to 19 pounds and the Xrion is about 12 and a half pounds (6.3 kilos).  I hate math and you should check my calculations on this to be sure I'm not wrong.

The Slalom appears to pivot up and side to side as well.  If it provides consitantly good suction, it might well be a low price competitor versus Dyson which promotes maneuverabilty as one of its main features.

All three of these models, per the website, provide a version for households with pets or allergy sufferers.  Neither version of the Xarion canister has a power nozzle option.  I know this not uncommon for European canister vacuums but considering that pet hair removal is the issue I'd imagine they would as I noticed Miele is now beginning to offer "power-team" canisters on it European site.

As an aside, I also noted that Miele UK is pushing, pardon the pun, the SBDH 285-3 "Allergotec" straight-suction nozzle.  Nothing new other than this is the first time I've seen the like used this way -- it's a sensor activated display that goes from red to green on the area you're cleaning is "clean". 

In any event, it would be nice to see some of the Hoover models head this way.

Best,

Venson

dusty

Reply #6   Aug 15, 2008 5:42 pm
The Slalom on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDL85A06yAU

Dusty
Trilobite

Reply #7   Aug 15, 2008 8:26 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Trilobite,

Did Hoover invent a new technology or just a word - "Airvolution"?        DIB

That's the thing (good grief - my text has shrunk!), I don't know if Hoover have invented it themselves, or if they are using it under licence from a patent holder (like the 'Triple Vortex Technology' was licenced by BHR Group, for the illegal Dyson copy). Certainly, there are a couple of companies that use the  'Airvolution' trademark, one makes ventilation equipment that is supposedly quiet but efficient.

I was wondering if the 'AirVolution' technology really meant that the motor has a superior fan design?

VENSON: I was under the impression that the 'Freedom' was actually lighter than the 'Slalom'! The Argos catalogue has the 'Freedom' at 6.1kg (13lbs), and the 'Slalom' at 7.2kg (15lbs).

Never trust mickey mouse catalogues!

Trilobite

Reply #8   Aug 15, 2008 8:44 pm
Venson:

As far as I am aware, they do not employ pleated filters as the primary filtration system. Instead, they use a standard low-efficiency cyclone, followed by higher efficiency '12 V-cell separators'. The air is then filtered by primary filters situated in the top of the cyclonic array.

Not having seen the the machines in the flesh, I'm presuming that the technology is similar to Vax / Dirt Devil / Hoover USA implementations. Hopefully trying to avoid infringing anyone's patents in the process!

Venson

Reply #9   Aug 15, 2008 9:40 pm
Trilobite wrote:
Venson:

As far as I am aware, they do not employ pleated filters as the primary filtration system. Instead, they use a standard low-efficiency cyclone, followed by higher efficiency '12 V-cell separators'. The air is then filtered by primary filters situated in the top of the cyclonic array.

Not having seen the the machines in the flesh, I'm presuming that the technology is similar to Vax / Dirt Devil / Hoover USA implementations. Hopefully trying to avoid infringing anyone's patents in the process!

Thanks Trilobite.  I'm glad to be reassured we're talking new technology instead of the same old stuff.  The information per the online spec sheets didn't quite explain it all and user guide PDFs aren't yet on the site.  Nonetheless, It's an interesting machine.. The patent infringement thing is a big issue I suppose.  Machines with real promise like the LG/Kenmore Iridioum, Samsung's Silencio and Euro-Pro's Infinity all had to find a different look for the same thing.

Best,

Venson

Venson

Reply #10   Aug 16, 2008 10:17 am
dusty wrote:
The Slalom on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDL85A06yAU

Dusty

Fantastic!  I watched the video and this machine appears as unique in design as anything I've seen in a long time.  You usually only see multi-pivoting in stick vacs.  Attachment use also appeared to be very, very uncomplicated and convenient.  At last it seems someone somewhere is looking to make money off giving people actual smart and practical invention. 

As well, I am anxious to see if this will influence any of the major American manufacturers of low and moderately priced machines -- Eureka, etc..  Maybe this manner of more facile mobility and maneuvering will become the new front from which other slightly more inventive uprights will begin to come.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 10 of 116NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42